Help choosing rods and reels for first timer

Please feel free to add your Kayak fishing related posts here.
40Yak

Help choosing rods and reels for first timer

Post by 40Yak » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:34 pm

I've done kayaking before and my wife has just bought me an angler kayak so i can start sea fishing off or cowes in the solent.

However, I've never done fishing before and while i'm very keen, i'm also very green.

I need help in deciding what types of rod and reel etc i need?

Do I need multiple rods as seen in many kayak fishing pics?

I'm fishing for eating not sport. My kids and I love fish and its expensive still so I thought I could enjoy my kayak, get int ofishing and bring home supper!!!

Do I sound daft?? lol

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:09 am

Hi, welcome to the forum. A lot of peeps fish for their supper, but as your new to the game, can i just point out that there are size limits. If you look on the left of the homepage under forums, you will see NFSA size limits. Also, with conservation in mind, could you only take what you need. You probably already know this, but i wouldnt want you to inadvertantly do something that would get the backs up of your fellow anglers. Sorry im no help with your kayak fishing, but im sure someone will be along to help you out, and might even be able to show you the ropes. Good luck, and if your successful, mines a Cod buttie, with salt n vinegar. :D :D :D Cheers..Mick

40Yak

Post by 40Yak » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:54 am

Thanks for this, I'd be impressed catching a fish let alone loads. Seriously though its a very valid point. I'd only look to catch what we could and would eat.

As for the question of minimum size, this is also the kind of advice I need before I go out so will definitely read up first.

Thanks

gynewguy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gynewguy » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:02 am

Hi yak and a warm welcome from Grimsby!

Sorry I can't answer your question regarding rod and reel for Kayak fishing but I'm sure someone will in a couple of days or so........
Till then this link may interest you:

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/categ ... k-fishing/

Si

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:10 am

May I suggest that you start a fresh post with your fishing area in the subject line. You may very well get an offer of help from someone in that area that way. I assume that you realise that the season is nearly over for most of us and March/April is when it starts again depending on where you are.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:38 am

40Yak

Post by 40Yak » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:27 am

thanks , have taken advice and posted a new one with my location. appreciated.

Thought I'd ask now so I'm prepared for the start in the new year.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:42 pm

If you are fishing only because fish is expensive to buy, then you will find it costs an awful lot more to catch yourself.

40Yak

Post by 40Yak » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:10 pm

no its not the only reason, just a passing comment.

I'm looking to get into as a way of relaxation, enjoyment and time to myself

Yakdiver
Regular
Regular

Post by Yakdiver » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Don't be tempted to buy very expensive rods as one capsize could/will break them, as for length 7 foot seems about right with a 8-12 LB class rod

MickMull

Post by MickMull » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:21 am

Yakdiver wrote:Don't be tempted to buy very expensive rods as one capsize could/will break them, as for length 7 foot seems about right with a 8-12 LB class rod
I agree, bought one of these for next to nothing, works for me & if it gos to Davy Jones's locker so be it. :)
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vantage-2pc ... lb-p150535