KAYAK!

Please feel free to add your Kayak fishing related posts here.
kayakfishing

KAYAK!

Post by kayakfishing » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:27 pm

i have a capri kayak (not made for fishing) its a closed top kayak, want to be out kayak fishing by the summer, but i dont no whether i should get a specially made kayak, ill only be going out for mackarel? if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated, cheers

lurcherman
Regular
Regular

kayak fishing

Post by lurcherman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:33 am

hi
i am sure i will get shot down in flames by the kayak fisherpersons with there all singing all dancing outfits but if what you have allready got does the job go for it as long as you have safety gear and attach rods etc with leashes and put other gear in a small sealed container,good luck.

natureboy

Post by natureboy » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:01 pm

If you only plan a bit of summer feathering for Mackerel then a simple handline would be a cheap and easy option from the covered yak. Nothing to stop you giving it ago with a surface mounted rod holder and rod set up but it seems a bit of an expense for just targeting Mackerel and a handline will work just as well.
Try the handline and see how you get on. It will probably only cost you a couple of quid + the cost of a trace for feathers and they catch fish just the same. (Although I am a real fan of fishing for Mackerel on light spinning gear...the fight is awesome for their size!)
I personally wouldn't want to try to play a large fish (I think I still remember what they look like) from anything but a sit on top yak but I haven't used a sit in for a long time.

Anyway, I hope this helps.