Off Southend Pier yesterday

Please feel free to add your Kayak fishing related posts here.
MickMull

Off Southend Pier yesterday

Post by MickMull » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:58 am

Day started well, had dug my lug earlier so paddled out to the end of Southend pier about 11:00. Dropped anchor & sat there for an hour or so catching medium sized whiting, but decided I wanted to go out a bit further as it gets deeper only a few more hundred yrds out.
Loads more whiting on lug & squid cod sized baits.
The sun was shining the water was flatish, :) but the run of the tide was Usane Bolt fast. My anchor was stuck like a limpet & wouldn't trip the cable tie. I could barely pull myself back to bring the cord aboard. Made a basic error (must be the week for them) decided to pull the anchor from the side after taking the cord out of the trolley. ::) ::) This was followed by a big splash made by me taking a backward dive into the briny :o :o :o SH*T I said out aloud as I looked at my upturned yak (which fortunately I was hanging onto. I flipped her back over & hauled myself back on, cut the anchor cord & paddled off to pick up my pair of gloves & bag of whiting that were heading down river.
Lost; - half a doz weights, fillet knife, chopping board, anchor & my feckin phone that although I had in a dry bag, I didn't close it after a recent call to the Mrs to let her know what a lovely day it was, coz I weren't gonna fall in was I :P :P :P
Pretty scary being a mile & a half out looking at your upturned yak, I wouldn't recommend it. ;)
No pictures, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of the people at the end of the pier videoed my near death experience, probably on youtube already.