Marine VHF

Please feel free to add your Kayak fishing related posts here.
JimKayak
Occasional
Occasional

Marine VHF

Post by JimKayak »

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

I have a Humminbird 55s handheld unit as a back up to the fitted unit mounted on the boat. I would advise against purchasing any set not advertised as waterproof. The additional cost of a waterproof set will be a good long term investment. You should look for a unit able to transmit at 5 watts as a minimum power output. Your transmit distance will be severely limited in a canoe as the transmit receive is line of sight of the aerial.

JimKayak
Occasional
Occasional

Post by JimKayak »

Im assuming a handheld device is what most serious Yakkers have?

I may stick to a phone & maybe invest in a small flare set.

Not sure, its more for next year.

Yakdiver
Regular
Regular

Post by Yakdiver »

Hi most of the so called waterproof VHF have two contacts at the bottom for charging the battery, now if these are not cleaned i.e. washed every trip they will corrode big time if using on a kayak.
I've went for a cheap Midlands it's not waterproof, but I put it in an aquapak case which it totally waterproof and had it now for 5 years, it takes 4 AA batteries and has never let me down.
I may stick to a phone & maybe invest in a small flare set
You mean to say you haven't got any :-O that has to be your first priority I would not go out without mine I have red and orange day & night
Ps with the VHF you will need to get a licence that part is free now, but you will have to go on a all day course to use a VHF, (I shouldn't say this but anybody can use a VHF in an emergence)