Taken the plunge (so to speak !)

Please feel free to add your Kayak fishing related posts here.
stinky_wiem
Regular
Regular

Taken the plunge (so to speak !)

Post by stinky_wiem »

Finally decided to get a yak after months of thinking about it, I've gone for a Ocean Kayak Malibu as it means I can take my kids out on the river (it was the only way I could convince my wife that getting one was a god idea !).

Went out for the first time today, only a short paddle to get used to things. All went well but I think I'm going to have to have a few more pratice runs at launching and beaching it.

Looking forward to my first fishing session :)

Yakdiver
Regular
Regular

Post by Yakdiver »

Hi if you have never paddled before do a BCU star 1 course, it is a one day course and you will learn a lot, and make sure you have all the safety gear with you i.e. flares, mobile phone or VHF radio and of course a buoyancy aid and also the right clothing, it maybe hot on land but 100-200 yard off shore can be cold. Sumer,spring and autumn you can get away with a good wetsuit, but winter you will need a proper drysuit and NOT a floatation suit they are NOT the same

ps you have a PM

JimKayak
Occasional
Occasional

Post by JimKayak »

Yeah I agree there.

Beaching it, generally u get off it before you hit the beach. Without water for support, u quickly get to see life from a whole new angle!

Lessons, yes, i dint, but i already had some previous training from a teenager, bit like riding a bike, soon came back to me.

Safety is paramount, i do take an old phone, i do have a dye marker and smoke flare kit, I also have an emergency strobe beacon when i go on a mission aswell as enough survival gear (bivvy, stove, meal, water) in case we have to beach and camp overnight.

Wetsuit is fine for spring - Autumn days, Dry Suit a MUST HAVE for Late Autumn onwards....dress for the water not the air.

Kit, you realy wont need more than two rods, DO Tether them to hull with a line of sorts. Tackle, one small tackle box (flat) eg Lure case, + basic spares, eg swivels, leader, feathers, hooks, etc is enough. When on a 2 day mission THEN you may decide to bring more!

Do wear a PFD, crew saver device is what i use, if i realy need it i inflate it. Most of the time, a vest gets in the way / restricts movement.

Wheel kit, they do help, they arent essential, more weight to paddle about.

stinky_wiem
Regular
Regular

Post by stinky_wiem »

Thanks for the advice guys.

I've got some sailing experience so know the importance of safety gear, I wouldn't even think of going out witout a pfd, leash and a mobile stored in a dry bag.

The furthest I've been out so far is probably around 300 - 400 yrds and then paddled for around a mile before turning around. Not far, but I want to build up gradually as you always have to paddle back to the start !.

stinky_wiem
Regular
Regular

Post by stinky_wiem »

Yakdiver wrote: ps you have a PM
Forgot to say, nothing showing in my inbox yet.

Yakdiver
Regular
Regular

Post by Yakdiver »

stinky_wiem wrote:
Yakdiver wrote: ps you have a PM
Forgot to say, nothing showing in my inbox yet.
sorry sent again hopefully