Kayak Fishing Setup Help

Please feel free to add your Kayak fishing related posts here.
phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Kayak Fishing Setup Help

Post by phatboy »

im looking at buying a kayak and was wondering what sort of setup i would need to fish from 1.
i plan on trying a variety of fishing methods (plugging/trolling/bait work etc).
ive got a 7ft spinning rod and small fixed spool reel loaded with 12lb line and was going to use this to start with.
would this be up to the job or would i need to buy a proper kayak rod and a new reel?
what are the best methods to use from a kayak?
also is yak fishing restricted to spring/summer or can you go out all year (weather permitting of course)? :-/ :-/
any advice would be much appreciated
cheers
Phill

phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy »

:( :-/ :(

JimKayak
Occasional
Occasional

Post by JimKayak »

Hiya, sorry i been away for a week....

Erm, right...basically what you will need is a Scotty Rod holder, maybe some flush mounted rod holders for behind your seat and leashes for them. The leashes can be done using some nylon rope & huge link swivels.

Rods: spinning rod is fine for trolling, try go for a stiffer one than normal, however i use an 8 feet rod just fine. Its now a 7 footer due to a slight mishap with a car door.

Reel: go for an egg beater, loaded with 150 yards of 20 - 30lb braid, no heavier, not too small, just able to cast plugs or spinners with ease, rear drag helps.

Winter: something ive considered many a time, the fact its colder then is a fairly good reason not to.

Trolling & spinning / plugging works well, some spots you can find a buoy to attach to and drop feathers in, or maybe attack some wrasse etc. Bottom fishing is ok i think for the smaller species, flounder, plaice, doggies, but anything likely to give a good pull should be left to those who know EXACTLY what they are doing. Ive often thought of a bait session off saundersfoot / amroth around 400 yards from the shore for Codling, or dropping a bait in somewhere - the main problem with that is you are stationary, and at certain times of the year - u will get cold!

Anything else: let me know

phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy »

cheers jim.
i was thinking about this time of year, when its not too cold (winter is def out of the question).
ill let you know when ive sorted a yak and well have to meet up some time.
cheers
Phill

birdqueen

Post by birdqueen »

get a 2 piece wet suit keeps you warm

rubberman

Post by rubberman »

Hi phatboy, Your spinning set up will be good for fish up to about 5lb, but you will have problems with larger species, if you are lucky enough to connect with one. A 15lb class boat rod and a lever drag multiplier would cope with most bigger fish off a kayak. Don't be fooled by the weather on a sunny spring day, the water temp will still be in single figures, whereas in October when the air is cooling the water can still be quite warm, we dress for the water not the air. I use a crewsaver dry suit, It's surprising how you don't cook even on a hot day, and allows you to fish all year round, I went swimming in mine early last march, I did not feel the cold at all. All the gear can come to a few quid but don't cut corners on safety, try to meet up with other yakkers there should be some in your area.

phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy »

cheers 4 the advice guys
Rubberman thats a good point about water temp i wouldnt have thought of that. i think a good dry suit is top of my list of things to get (after a pfd).
hoping to get my yak nxt week. fingers crossed the weather stays good for a while
cheers
Phill

JimKayak
Occasional
Occasional

Post by JimKayak »

THE BEST PLACE TO GET ONE IS NEXT to the cycle place in pembroke dock by tesco's.