Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Newbie

Post by wannacatch1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:26 pm

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:21 pm

I suppose you have to ask yourself what the pro skippers do. My experience of using one of the best in south Devon a few years ago when I lived there was/is:
1. He knew where all of the wrecks, reefs and banks surrounded by drop offs were. This obviously came from years of experience but also from studying Admiralty charts and trying the interesting features.
2. He also kept copious notes of what was achieved by fishing these various spots such as state of tide, weather conditions and time of year.
This all takes time of course just as it does when one begins to explore sections of coastline and sometimes you will get lucky and pick up a bit of intelligence from someone who knows. One thing is for sure, you won't find out unless you get out there as often as possible and keep a note book.
It's a bit like me and Hayling; when I moved here several years ago I didn't have a clue but these days I rarely blank and pretty well know what I am likely to catch and where for all of the Hayling venues.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:01 am

Lug worm, mackerel, squid and crab all work frrom a boat all around the UK. don't forget the humble mussel for flatties.
Cheers
keith :D :D

madlandscaper

Post by madlandscaper » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Hi thanks for all your replies, Mackrel will be the easist for me as we catch so much, and there is only so much you can eat!, Its great being able to catch them and bbq them on the beach within hours! i will try some lugworm as well, a lot of my friends use ragworm but there bity bits tend to put me off! can you eat red gurnard or is there hardley anything on them?

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Gurnard is fine eating providing you can get one big enough, myself I tend to return them.
Cheers
keith :D :D