Salcombe area water access

anything South West sea fishing related here
Bigfishstalker

Salcombe area water access

Post by Bigfishstalker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi there from a Sea Fishing Virgin ! (albeit an old one)
I'm making my first ever visit to Salcombe towards the end of July and hope to get a few hours fishing in, between family trips. Can anybody tell me please if there are any easy walk access points from the town to useable water specifically suitable for either spinning (with reasonable weight freshwater tackle) or even Fly casting? Obviously flycasting is not going to be practical where the roads or pavements are near the waters edge! I don't possess beachcaster type rods, so mega distances are not practical. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Paul.

allingtondave

Post by allingtondave » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:32 pm

Hi there, your best bet is to catch the ferry over to East Portlemouth then head on towards the coastal path by foot. This will take you to some good rock marks. It is a bit of a hike so go light. Alternatively park up at Overbecks in Salcombe take the coastal path again keep hiking you will come to some cracking rock marks in and around Stairhole bay, but be warned this is a long walk about 30 mins but worth the effort. good luck.

allingtondave

Post by allingtondave » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:44 pm

Sorry above post has mentioned fairly long walks, but I am afraid you will not catch much staying in the town, only yachts and people. If you cannot get out too far try South sands beach around to the right off the rocks, you may pick up school Bass from here, but this is not a place that I have ever heard of anything decent being caught. I am not sure if there is still access down, but you could see if you could get down to Splats Cove, which is just around from south sands.

fishmad
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishmad » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:48 pm

there is alot of fun to be had in the salcombe estury for the schoolies on light tackle on the east potlemouth side by the small island of rocks in the middle of the estury

AndyH
Occasional
Occasional

Salcombe

Post by AndyH » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi it may be fun fishing for schoolies but don't forget Salcombe is a Bass Nursery area and you might get a visit from the Fisheries people. Just a warning because I had a visit when fishing East Portlemouth for plaice.

fishmad
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishmad » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:15 am

i didnt know that cheers for the heads up

Bigfishstalker

Post by Bigfishstalker » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:47 pm

Apologies to you all.
Sorry I've been offline for various reasons since I posted the request.
Thank you for your replies - looking forward to giving it a try.