Trevose Head and Padstow....

anything South West sea fishing related here
fosma
Occasional
Occasional

Trevose Head and Padstow....

Post by fosma » Fri May 27, 2011 11:12 am

Hi folks, taking the family down to the South West for the week, was hoping for a heads up on how Trevose is fishing.

In the hours I've got off I'll mostly be throwing some megabass x-slayers and Zonks into the ocean to see what's around, however, may get the chance of a bit of bait fishing for Wrasse/Conger.

If fishing Trevose head, will I be casting out into rough ground or onto sand? Just interested to match the terminal tackle to the conditions.

Would be grateful for any info, and will post reports when I return.

Cheers,

Matt

fosma
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fosma » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi folks, as promised a couple of words about the week.

Monday 30th - due to the direction of the wind and it's strength, had to fish in the Camel estury. Made my way to Hawkers Cove and followed the tide out. Casting a range of lures, xslayers and Yo zuri, had a number of schoolies but nothing of any size.

Wednesday 1st - wind had dropped somewhat but still a fair amount of life in the sea, so made my way to Boobys bay at hightide. As the Sun dropped, the fishing really switched on. Casting in and around the rock gulleys took 5 nice Bass to 6lb along with several follows and strikes from other fish (one looked a good double.) Top evening. Megabass zonk did most of the damage.

Thursday 2nd - Had a crack at Trevose Head, just round from the lighthouse. Deep spinning some Jelly worms and sandeel imitations. Took a number of small pollock up to the 2lb mark, however did connect into a cracking fish that parted my line after doubling my rod! Wish I'd had some Crab as Trevose looks a bit special for Wrasse. Excellent mark, but one for the brave. Very much fishing off the egde of the world. Stunning.

fishingnuts95
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishingnuts95 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:56 pm

Sounds like you had a great time there! Its a shame no one could give you any advice before hand but you still caught plenty of fish. Great report :)
Fishingnuts95

fosma
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fosma » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:09 pm

Cheers, in many repects it was nice to arrive with a blank canvas and use a bit of watercraft. Very satisfying to study the ordinance survey map, take a chance, cast to an area you think looks fishy then feel that bang. When it all comes together there's no better feeling. Think I was very lucky with high tides coinciding with last light. Best thing was, didnt see another soul while I was out.

doombarpirate

Post by doombarpirate » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:42 pm

Great report mate , trevose head is awesome and brilliant for lots of species , can be a struggle getting anything big up over the ledge though