Intro / Weymouth in May

anything South West sea fishing related here
landlubber

Intro / Weymouth in May

Post by landlubber » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi all......i'm a bit new to all this. I am more used to gudgeon-bashing on my local canal, or chub fishing on the Great Ouse, but picked up a copy of Sea Angler magazine last year and suddenly had the urge to give it a bash.

Went down to Weymouth last September, and had great fun, mainly catching small wrasse, whiting and the odd garfish...not massive, but bigger than gudgeon :-).... Also tried my hand at a bit of beach-casting. Took a bit of getting used to...a bit like trying to fish with a tree-trunk. Quite amazing that you can actually detect bites on gear like that.

i'm planning to go down again in May. I am thinking of having a crack at Chesil beach...but there seems to be an awful lot of it..!!! Any recommendations on which areas to try?

gynewguy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gynewguy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:10 am

Hi LL,
Many years since I fished that area but I hear a lot of folk taking of Abbotsbury.................

Si

bigwal

Post by bigwal » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:44 pm

dont bother unless ya after mackral, try poole harbour or pulpit rock

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:11 am

Chesil is a nightmare of flying leads, crossed lines, litter, fish guts and bad tempers ..... and spiders crabs ...whenever the mackerel arrive. there are plenty of places to fish which are more pleasant and nearer..

try

http://haddock-fishyfishy.blogspot.com/ ... beach.html

or float fish from the piers

the only bits of Chesil I fish in summer are the unfashionable bits..

http://haddock-fishyfishy.blogspot.com/ ... -cove.html

or, at the other end

http://haddock-fishyfishy.blogspot.com/ ... stock.html

have a click around my blog....plenty of Dorset marks in there... some advice on tackle and techniques as well.

enjoy your stay.....

UglyStik360
Occasional
Occasional

new here

Post by UglyStik360 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:41 am

Just seen your post, I live near Aylesbury, and post on south, Marchwood and Hayling fishing well, could meet up for meet, Leonard

landlubber

Weymouth /Cheseil

Post by landlubber » Sat May 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Folks, thanks for the tips, esp. Haddock's post regarding Preston beach area, as I think I will be based wittin walking distance of that particular spot. Definitely going to have another crack at the stone pier in Weymouth also.

I'm going down tomorrow, and hoping for a good week...Whatever happens, it will be better than being at work :-)