Chesil Beach

anything South West sea fishing related here
markemark
Occasional
Occasional

Chesil Beach

Post by markemark »

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if its worth coming down to Chesil (Abbotsbury) and fishing at the weekend. I have heard reports of nets all along the beach so dont really want to waste a journey if the nets are there. Please PM me if its secret and you don't want any netters getting any info.

Regards

Mark

PlymouthTaff

Post by PlymouthTaff »

Lo Mark,

I was reading the local paper down here in Plymouth today and there was a photo of two local anglers who fished Chesil last week. One holding a 11lb cod and the other a 13lb'er!

I also heard that 7 anglers were very lucky to only lose their gear last week when a shingle back gave way on the beach.

If you decide to go post a catch report

Cheers

Taff

markemark
Occasional
Occasional

Post by markemark »

Well went to Abbotsbury last night armed with with fine blacks, rag and squid and some high hopes as the sea was chapp and the easterlies were good. Disapointing night really, i had one of each pout, whiteing (keeper) and a drogonette that is a new spiecies for me. My two mates had eel, schoolie just under size, whiteing, and a nice mullet which i was supprised to see in those conditions. There was loads fishing on the beach and i didnt see any codling coming in. Some huge waves coming over the top and catching us out, you can see why great caution is needed when there is an on shore wind. Anyway got some blacks and rag left so may go down to Bristol channel on Monday for a bash down there.

Cheers

Mark

markemark
Occasional
Occasional

Post by markemark »

Good call going down to the Bristol Channel, wish i had gone there in the fiest place. Used the left over blacks and rag that i had left and fished Mon night high water for two and a half hours the the same on Tues morning for two and a half hours. Rigs used were 3/0 pully pennels with the aim of getting a codling or two. Total fish caught 4 codling (3 keepers) with the biggest being about 3 lb, one bass of 3 lb and 10 reasonable size whiting. So happy to get my first codling off the shore this season and catch my biggest bass to date.

Cant wait to go again?

Tight lines

Mark

bossman

Post by bossman »

Hi Mark, very good call!! Where did you fish in the channel as I've never had much luck to date!

Tight lines!

Geoff

markemark
Occasional
Occasional

Post by markemark »

Hi Geoff,

I fished Brean Sands, right down the far end past all the amusements where all the private caravans are. It was really quiet as well only saw one other angler there and he/she was about 600 yds away so had the beach to ourselves really. On small tides you can take your car onto the beach apparently.

Cheers

Mark

bossman

Post by bossman »

Hi Mark,
Thanks for info, will give it a go next time I'm out.

Cheers

Geoff

antnee

The cheisl Beach

Post by antnee »

Hi all I fished West Bexington (near the car park) the last week in October and as long as the winds not to strong on shore Its possible and more than likely you will catch fish. We had just rag and Squid and we caught Whiting, Pout, up to 3lb Doggies, and a blenny well thats what it looked like in the dark.

West bay fished in the day too produced Doggies though nothing big so it all went back in. Squid heads seem to work quite well and a big helping of it.

tight lines, hope this helps. But remember Its steep shingle bank and when its rough you can get that rogue wave!