new and need help

anything South West sea fishing related here
lee_new

new and need help

Post by lee_new » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi there im new to fishing (havent cast a line yet), and was wondering if anybody would be kind enough to help me out.
im currently in possesion of a 10ft carbon fiber sea rod (or so i am told).
I have no other equipment at the present moment in time and would like to know what other items i need to start me off on my fishing voyage.
NAy information no matter how insugnificant will be of help remeber people i know nothing of the sport and would love to fall in love with it with your help

thanks Lee

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:57 pm

where do you intend to fish?

that will determine what gear you will need.

gynewguy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gynewguy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:39 am

I reckon the 10ft rod may have problems casting too far (but you don't always need to). 12ft seems to be the norm. If you're pier/rock fishing it may well be adequate imho.

Si

lee_new

Post by lee_new » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:52 am

im planning on fishing down seaton and lyme regious area i've been told that before about the rod but dont want to go buying a 12ft one untill im sure that i like fishing if you understand what i mean

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:10 am

Once biten by the sea fishing bug all is lost!
cheers
keith :D :D

gynewguy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gynewguy » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:28 am

I totally see what you mean about wasting money. Not my area so can't comment. Still, give it a go!

Si

lee_new

Post by lee_new » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:20 pm

thanks for your help guys i'll keep you posted about how i get on have ahd a few friends offer to teach me the ropes in a couple of weeks time so fingers crossed :)

kirk

Post by kirk » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:32 am

Depending on the rod, 10 ft is a bit odd in that it could be light as in lure fishing or heavier as in uptide boat.

Will assume more like a lure rod. For first time I suggest that you use a spinning type reel. Easier to use, just get a robust one. :-S

Buy a few lures, jellies, spinners and plugs.

Would suggest that you put something like 12-15lb line on, stick a small swivel on the end of the line and attach the lures etc to this with about 24" of line. Then basically chuck it out >:) >:) and slowly retrieve.

For a 10ft rod you need to be able to fish a bit close in, simply it will not cast too far. So around and over something like rocks or an outcrop would be an option. Cannot recall Seaton waters, have been there. :((

If beach fishing then aim to put the weight and bait at the first breaker, or between the first and the next one out. They stir up sand etc and so stir up food which attracts fish. The first breaker should be within range. Best to go for accurancy then distance. :)

Enjoy yourself, that's the main thing.

marcyvalantine

Post by marcyvalantine » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:35 pm

sounds like you might want to start off pier fishing,its a good place to start you dont get as messy as when fishing the beach and it will give you an idea on what its all about,not tryin to put you off but its not all happy times hahah you will understand what i am trying to say when you get bitten buy the fishing bug,it is an emosional roller coaster but you wont want to change it for the world...just start off on lyme pier say maybe with 12lb line straight through to a 2-3 ounce lead depending on conditions get a couple of flatfish traceis from the tackl shop and get some rag worms aswell and give that a go you dont have to cast out to far eaither,the thing is not to make it to complicated straight away there is plenty of time for that ok bud good luck and happy fishing.... :)

lee_new

Post by lee_new » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:29 pm

thanks again guys for your usefull info i'll have to wait till pay day to try and sorce the rest of the equipment im gunna need and then i'll take your advice and head to lyme