Anybody know much about whats in the river dart?

anything South West sea fishing related here
diceman

Anybody know much about whats in the river dart?

Post by diceman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:44 am

yestarday I was watching some small fish jumping in the river near longmarsh (totnes). At first I was assuming they were feeding but I couldn't see any flies buzzing near the surface so it may be they were trying to avoid predatory fish. Its far up river but the water is brackish and still tidal. I've noticed a few shoals of baby prawns (krill?) kicking about so was just wondering what predatory fish might have made it up this far? I was thinking Salmon or sea trout but the fish that were jumping seemed a bit large for them. Any ideas? There is often a seal in the river that must be following something up just wondering if there might be a few schoolies around.

polarstar

Post by polarstar » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:43 pm

what part of the river is it,
if near the bridge and island the fish could be bass or mullet and if it's pass the weir then it's not tidal as i don't know the name longmarsh.

diceman

Post by diceman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:00 pm

Long Marsh is the park/path that runs along the river on the dartcruise side of the river further down from the island. I know you get mullet that far up but wasn't sure about other species

diceman

Post by diceman » Tue May 04, 2010 12:20 pm

Ok over the bank holiday had a good chance to walk the dog along the river and I can tell you whats in the river at the moment.
1. a big frickin seal up by the weir
2. Sea trout (i reckon) by the weir getting eaten by the seal
3. Loads and i do mean loads of mullet by the railway bridge, seriously you could have walked on them.
4. Some schoolie bass kicking around by long marsh/vire island noticed them at low(ish) tide so maybe some bigger ones coming up as the tide gets higher.

so heres my question: If sea trout are caught in a tidal part of a river do you still need a licence to take them?

pjs

Post by pjs » Tue May 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Sadly you need a licence wherever you catch sea trout and salmon.

Peter

diceman

Post by diceman » Wed May 05, 2010 8:18 am

thought as much.