Trolling

anything South West sea fishing related here
Rocko

Trolling

Post by Rocko » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:46 pm

Hi

As you may guess I not got lot exp. So I need to know how to troll from boat and what bait/lures you might use of South Cornwall coast for Bass etc.
Do I need wights on end of line etc or paravanes. If you can point me to a web site with pics ( of setups that is)

Your help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

kirk

Post by kirk » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:49 pm

Cannot help with anything in the UK but trolling is a popular way of salmon fishing on the West coast of Canada. :) :)

Try a search using inputs like: British Columbia, fishing, salmon, trolling.

One site should describe the set up needed. Not sure where you would get some of the bits from in the UK as it isn't a well followed approach. Thinking mainly about the clip that holds the line.

Also you need a rod with certain properties as it is the release of the line from the clip and the straightening of the rod that sets the hook. They often use a single piece 8 ft rod more typical of a spinning rod but a bit more powerful.

All this assumes that the idea of trolling here matches what is done in BC :-O

pjs

Post by pjs » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:54 pm

One way I know for bass is to use a 1-2 oz ball weight, like you use with a float, above a bead and swivel. Follow this with a 6-12 ft leader to a 3/0 - 4/0 hook with a sandeel, I find live works best where I fish. Trail out the boat using a short spinning/light boat rod. Stay holding the rod and troll slowish.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:21 am

Trolling is when the boat is under power very slow so as to impart movement to the bait and cover more ground. This can be done with any boat rod and as soon as a fish is hooked then the power is cut and the fish is wound in, in the normal way.

The above method works well for mackerel.

Trotting on the other hand is when the boat is stationary and a light weight is used so as to let let bait bounce along the bottom using the tidal pull.

Two entirely different methods with the same aim, and that is to cover more ground and catch fish.
Cheers
keith :D :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:24 am

Just to add to the above, the same thing can be achieved by drifting, ie letting the boat drift in the current with the weight just off the sea bed.
Cheers
keith :D :D

Rocko

Post by Rocko » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:35 am

Thanks guys

I thought we did more of this in the UK I've seen boats out there what is the type of fishing called they do down Helston & Penzance way where they have long bamboo, i think for Bass. Is this a particular type of fishing diff to what I called trolling

cheers