Torquay - any advice

anything South West sea fishing related here
jaybee1054

Torquay - any advice

Post by jaybee1054 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi all

I'm heading down to Torquay next week and find myself with a spare day ;) to do some shore / harbour fishing.

can anybody make any recommendations on what's around there?

many thanks

Jay

AndyH
Occasional
Occasional

Post by AndyH » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:33 pm

Hi Jaybee1054,
You could try Brixham breakwater, can be good, Perhaps someone could give some better info,

Andy H

TrulyMadlyDeeply

Post by TrulyMadlyDeeply » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:24 am

Hi mate,

Torquay is spoilt for good areas to fish. The best by far is Hopes Nose which is to the East. If you are driving then get a local map and head for Charlotte Road. You can park easily with no restrictions. There is a coastal path leading down to Hopes Nose. I must add it is about a 20 min walk down and about 45 up.

Near the bottom the pathway splits into 3. To the right is Mackerel Point which has deep water and a sandy bottom. Good chance of flatties and the occasional codling.

Straight ahead is high point. This can be snaggy, can be? who am I kidding, it is snaggy so be prepared to lose a bit of tackle. Likely fish are codling, wrasse and doggies. There is a reef about 80 yards out.

To the left is Sandy Point. Why it is called that I dont know as it is again a snaggy bottom. Good chance of cod, wrasse, and, if you cast left, congers.

Good luck and tight lines.

Phil

jaybee1054

Post by jaybee1054 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:29 pm

That's brilliant - thanks Phil. I'll be heading off there on Tuesday

bassfly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bassfly » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:47 am

I fished Hopes Nose last year and had some excellent sessions on the fly rod.
Lots of Mackerel and Bass.
Nice walk down hard walk up!
Good luck

east27
Occasional
Occasional

hopes nose

Post by east27 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:19 am

hi jaybee, just a word of warning make sure you park your car or van down one of the roads where the houses are,or you might come back and find it has been broken into,there has been alot of cars damaged and broken into when parked on the main road in the past,but you should be ok down the side roads just park outside one of the houses.

tightlines