Help for a new guy. Weymouth area.

anything South West sea fishing related here
Jake5321

Help for a new guy. Weymouth area.

Post by Jake5321 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi guys, i was hoping someone could give me some advice. Myself and a friend have taken up sea fishing and after 3 trips all we have done is lost a whole load of hooks and weights. Could someone advise us where to go and at what time, and what sought of rig to use, and what bait, not much to ask. ;) ;) While i'm asking, can anyone recomend a good book for begginers. We're in the Weymouth and Portland area.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi Jake, welcome to the forum, If you look on the left there are links for rigs, knots etc, which might help. You dont say why you are losing rigs etc, are you using a shockleader, it may well be the knot you are using, I use the UNI knot, shown in the guide on the left, its never let me down. but the best thing you can do, is get someone to show you what you need to know, If your lucky someone in your area may be able to help out. Cheers..Mick

Jake5321

Post by Jake5321 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Cheers for the prompt reply Mick, I have no idea what a shockleader is but i intend to find out. The rigs get snagged up and break off. Thanks for the advice, I'll try that knot. Jake

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi a shockleader is the line that takes the strain of casting, and is 10lb breaking strain to each ounce of weight. eg, 5oz weight 50lb B/S line, this is at least the lengh of the rod, plus 6 or 7 turns around the spool, plus about 3ft to 5ft (peoples opinions vary) between rod tip and trace line. Im guessing now that your knots may be slipping, so the UNI knot will cure that, and its easy to do. Can i just say that if you havnt got a shockleader on, and your using large weights, be careful because you will have snapoffs, and a 5oz weight travelling at over 200 miles an hour can do some real damage. Hopefully someone will have a pic, or a link to a site showing the setup. Cheers..Mick