Hooking flounder

anything South West sea fishing related here
con4

Hooking flounder

Post by con4 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:09 pm

Hi all, I have been flounder fishing at landulph lately and I have been missing a few bites (but landed one 1.6lb flounder) and I'm wondering if I am waiting to long to strike or not long enough. So can I have some advice on how to hook these flounder, thanks alot Con4 :D

sm00thh0und
Occasional
Occasional

Post by sm00thh0und » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:58 pm

hi mate thing is with flounder they dont take it straight away they will play with it ,they will shuffle around it clipping the line that usaully the first bite u see ,then there take a taster have a nick at the tail of the worms then hopefully if presented well enough and the hook hiden in the worm because many people have the worms tails dangleing around but i find it better to hide the hook in the worm so when the fish bite u know the hook will set in its mouth you no this already obviously beeing a keen fisherman . i time my bites with flatties after the first bite if theres no action after 5 or 10 mins reel in 3 or 4 turns on the reel leave it for a while then strike hopefully u should have one ..GOOD LUCK HAPPY FISHING :D smoothound

sm00thh0und
Occasional
Occasional

Post by sm00thh0und » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:01 pm

sm00thh0und wrote:hi mate thing is with flounder they dont take it straight away they will play with it ,they will shuffle around it clipping the line that usaully the first bite u see ,then there take a taster have a nick at the tail of the worms then hopefully if presented well enough and the hook hiden in the worm because many people have the worms tails dangleing around but i find it better to hide the hook in the worm so when the fish bite u know the hook will set in its mouth you no this already obviously beeing a keen fisherman . i time my bites with flatties after the first bite if theres no action after 5 or 10 mins reel in 3 or 4 turns on the reel leave it for a while then strike hopefully u should have one ..GOOD LUCK HAPPY FISHING :D smoothound
a lot of flounder go by colour and movement

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:55 pm

I never strike at flounder. I just wait till my knocks then leave it until the next session of knocks, then wind in. I have never found any need to strike.
Cheers
keith :D :D

con4

cheers

Post by con4 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:40 pm

hi, thanks for the advice everyone i will try these tips and hopefully catch some more flaties!!! :D

cheers con4

jamiea1

Post by jamiea1 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:09 am

Crafty buggers them Flounder! I find leaving rod alone on first few knock then winding into fish works well... And just as your man said if all goes quiet then reel in a bit can get them to take, even half a turn will work!!!
Good luck chap!

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:26 am

Of all the species we can catch from our shores, i think flatties are the ones most likely to be foul hooked. Ive lost count of the times ive seen them hooked underneath, which makes me think they lie down on the bait to cover it till they want to eat it. Cheers...Mick