rod length

anything South West sea fishing related here
spunky

Post by spunky » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:13 pm

13 foot sorted :D ..............what size tripod is best for this rod?.......does size make alot of difference ive seen them upto 8 foot ?............bear with me lads weve got line, reels, end tackle etc yet lol :D :D
shall we get the reels out of the way now ..has anyone tried a wytchwood riot?....happy chrimbo by the way all :)

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:18 pm

my tripod 6ft, my rod are 13ft salt, 13 dawia supercast, 13ft abu and a 13ft grex grx, 2 fox jerk bait rod 7ft and about 6 boat rods, my best beach is rod the abu, reels 2x7000 abu, 1 abu 6500 high speed mag, 1 dawai 7th, 1 dawia slosh, 2x bait runner, 2 abu 5501 bait casters. then tackle is unlimted

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:19 am

spunky

Post by spunky » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:54 pm

thanks for that , so choppy weather or weed get youre rod high and keep the line out of the way :) .........heres another ive been looking at leads and dont know whats best a standard breakout lead with an impact shield (does the shiled actually protect the bait?) or an impact lead? ........also has anyone tried these nice and cheap
http://www.mattstackle.co.uk/productinf ... 785e662eea
would the hook release ok ?

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:41 pm

Ah well, you could be into a bit of a discussion here because different folk have different preferences. Impact shields don't directly protect the bait but they do stop the hook breaking free from the main body of the rig until the whole lot hits the water. There are all sorts of rig designs aimed at achieving this and they are generally known as clipped down rigs. My favourite is to use the breakaway impact leads for the bottom hook and plastic sliding bait clips to hold the higher hooks in place but I have done others and a recently produced quite popular system which I haven't personally tried is the "D-vice". They all do tend to make the bait stay put when using power casting techniques and are supposed to add a few yards to the length of your cast.