Marine Conservation Zones coming soon to south-west England

anything South West sea fishing related here
FindingSanctuary

Marine Conservation Zones coming soon to south-west England

Post by FindingSanctuary » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:44 pm

Last edited by FindingSanctuary on Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 6 times in total.

FindingSanctuary

Have your say: More Finding Sanctuary drop-in days across th

Post by FindingSanctuary » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:06 pm

spunky

Post by spunky » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:47 am

out of interest what research do you have to show rod and line fisherman are contributing to a decline of species

Tedward

Post by Tedward » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:39 pm

Hi All,
Anybody going to the "drop in day" next Tuesday I think?
Tedward.

TrulyMadlyDeeply

Post by TrulyMadlyDeeply » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:48 am

As many people as possible need to get along to these meetings and air their views. Whether our opinions will be heard and/or listened to is another matter.

Whilst I accept that protection zones may be needed along the same lines as we already have Conservation areas for other native wild-life I don't believe anglers, and beach fisherman in particular, have any great impact on any species. I base this opinion on the fact that even if you fish with 2 rods you are hardly likely to catch as many fish in a 4/5 hour session than the netters do in the same period of time.

If 'Finding Sanctuary' want my support then they can earn it by stopping the trawlers that came in to Whitsand Bay and destroyed the Bass run there, they can stop the Trawlers raping the beaches at Beesands and Slapton and they can stop the netters from laying their nets within 100 yards of Mountbatten Breakwater, Jennicliffe Beach and hopes Nose.

Come to some of the beaches I fish and watch the trawler lights come inwhen darkness falls and the Fisherie Protection ladds are tucked up in bed.

FindingSanctuary

Post by FindingSanctuary » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:07 am

spunky wrote:out of interest what research do you have to show rod and line fisherman are contributing to a decline of species
Thanks for your post and sorry for taking so long to respond. We post on over 100 forums and I only saw your message when we revisited sea-fishing.org last week and I needed to consult others in order to answer your question.

Government advisors (JNCC and Natural England) will be issuing the regional project stakeholder groups with ecological guidance which will set out which species and habitats need to be protected through Marine Conservation Zones, and what the conservation objectives are for each species and habitat. The Government advisors will also provide guidance on the levels of human pressures that are likely to be compatible with each conservation objective. For example, a biogenic reef is sensitive to high levels of physical abrasion. Several human activities can cause high levels of physical abrasion (trawling, for instance) and these activities would have to be managed if the conservation objective is to be achieved.

Compatibility depends on the many site specific elements (e.g. the intensity and frequency of pressures, mitigation measures, time of year activity occurs, cumulative effects of different pressures as well as the sensitivity of the feature and its current condition.

JNCC currently have two data contracts let, MB106 (pressures on marine environment) and MB102 (collating sensitivity information on EUNIS level 3 habitats and species of particular conservation importance). The main objective is to combine sensitivity and exposure to pressures information to give an indication of the impacts on specific features, for the identification of marine protected areas. I do not know when these will be completed or when the results will be made available.

I therefore spoke to a colleague at the JNCC who told me the following: Hand lining is an activity that can cause biological pressure on an ecosystem by selectively removing particularly species. Some activities cause more than one pressure (e.g. trawling causes both biological and physical pressures). However, a pressure is not the same as an impact - impacts occur where the feature is sensitive to a particular pressure, and where a change occurs that is different to that expected under natural conditions. In the case of hand lining, this could be a reduction in the population of the target species, and potentially a change in community structure and marine food webs. If hand lining is regulated so that the impact/change is minor, then this is likely to be compatible with the conservation objectives of an MPA (where the target species is a qualifying feature or where this species is considered an integral part of a qualifying habitat). Obviously, in a reference site, no extraction, deposition or disturbance will be allowed, as you correctly identify below.

In order to meet the ecological guidance, the Finding Sanctuary Steering Group may recommend that some MCZs are given a high level of protection, which could ban all extraction, disturbance and deposition, including take by rod and line fishermen. For example, some reference sites may be set up to monitor the effects of removing all human pressures. Any highly protected site could have an impact on rod and line fishermen, so it is important that you and other fishermen are involved in deciding where these sites should be placed, in order to minimise any impact to your fishing. I would suggest you get in touch with us directly to find out who is representing your interests on the Steering Group and how you can get involved as an individual. You can call us on 01392 878 328.

I hope this helps answer your question. Please get in touch if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
Joana

FindingSanctuary

Have your say: More Finding Sanctuary drop-in days

Post by FindingSanctuary » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:09 am

TrulyMadlyDeeply

Post by TrulyMadlyDeeply » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:04 pm

What a waste of time!

Finding Sanctuary? Christ, you couldn't find you way back to this website for over 8 weeks!

You say you post on over a 100 websites, how hard could it be to go to each one and see any comments left for you? I dont mean daily, but once a week would mean visiting 20 a day, hardly a difficult task.

As to drawing lines on a map, that is all very well and if you use different colours to represent different protection criteria I am sure it will look very pretty on a wall. However, as the final decision, by your own admission, will depend on Ministers what we want will be rather irrelevant as it will be a political decision based on poll ratings at the time.

If you feel this is a personal dig at you then I appologise because it is not meant to be, publish your "research" to show percentages of fish caught by trawlers, netters and then us rod and line anglers and I am sure you will see we contribute very little, if anything to the decline of species.

By all means put a line on the map and protect the fish in that area, what will happen then? You must have had the same thought as I have had, the trawlers and the netters will trawl and net harder just on the other side of the line thereby destroying that area. Then you can relay your lines and the trawlers will move again.

Why not create an exclusion zone similar to our territorial waters although maybe only 10 miles or so and ban all commercial fishing within that area?

I look forward to your response to this post and will check back in Aprilto see your response, if any.

Rocko

Post by Rocko » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:41 pm

Well said TMD

I'm new here but am going to their drop in this week so will let you know if they have any Face to Face answers

Plenty of trawlers near our beach's down here at night and they think "we" have an effect on the fish population !!!

It sickens me to see tons o fish come out in one haul and then quota and size issues see the trawler dump surplus now dead back into sea

Also the huge euro trawlers that eat up all in their path and destroy our own fishing fleets

There is a place for our trawlers, our line fishermen and us, this is where the debate should be in giving us all a place in our waters

I will let you know how I get on

Cheers
>:D<

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 am

Rather than dismiss these conservation zones as worthless or assuming sea fishing won't get a look in, we should make sure our views are put forward at whatever forums are available. Clearly commercial fishing will have a much greater impact than angling, but that doesn't mean to say angling has no impact at all. In the end these conservation measures are far more likely to benefit sea anglers; we just need to ensure that the people who make policy properly understand the relative impacts.

TrulyMadlyDeeply

Post by TrulyMadlyDeeply » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:38 am

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:Rather than dismiss these conservation zones as worthless or assuming sea fishing won't get a look in, we should make sure our views are put forward at whatever forums are available. Clearly commercial fishing will have a much greater impact than angling, but that doesn't mean to say angling has no impact at all. In the end these conservation measures are far more likely to benefit sea anglers; we just need to ensure that the people who make policy properly understand the relative impacts.
I dont dismiss them as worthless but the policy will be decided upon by politians who are more interested in lining their own pockets and probably have very little real knowledge of the issues. They will read facts and figures and make their decision on other peoples thoughts.

Figures can be misleading if put in different contexts.