Some Devon Info Please

anything South West sea fishing related here
boatpro

Some Devon Info Please

Post by boatpro » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:45 pm

Hi All,

I beach fish in Norfolk and normally post in the East Coast section, but this weekend I am coming down to Axminster to see my brother. He has asked me to take him out and teach him the basics, (I told him that would be a bit like the blind leading the blind but he still seems keen).

Anyway, he lives in Axminster, so is quite near to Lyme Regis. Can anyone with local knowledge give me a hand here. Where to go, what bait works best locally, what is being caught, if anything!

Any knowledge passed on will be greatly appreciated.

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:40 pm

The sea is not likely to settle to allow safe fishing on the beaches so The Canon Wall at Lyme would be my choice
http://haddock-fishyfishy.blogspot.com/ ... rbour.html

have not fished there for a while but you could probably put money on catching dogfish to fish-bait, out towards the end would be best and cast about 50yds out. pout will be there close to the wall, they will eat anything

boatpro

Post by boatpro » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:31 pm

Thanks for the info and the good website link, interesting, any idea what state of tide fishes best. High on Sunday is 4.00pm and about 5.00pm on Monday.

Thanks

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock » Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:39 pm

I've caught there at all states of the tide, on spring tides the water can be very shallow at low... but that won't bother you this weekend.
Fishing in the dark would probably be more productive although the water will be coloured after this rough weather.
Use smallish hooks and baits for scratching, I'd use size 2.... and bigger hooks and bigger baits for dogfish or whatever further out.

ps
there is a tide measure on the lower seaward wall towards the end,

boatpro

Post by boatpro » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:59 pm

Thanks for the help TNH, have you any experience of Seaton Beach?

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:33 pm

Seaton Beach, not much personal experience.... dogs and pout are all I've caught there. There is rough ground around to the west end of the bay where you can find dogfish and huss, the other end also gets rough ground past the small harbour on the east side, bass turn up here.
there should be some whiting around at this time of year with an occasional cod.