Spinning for bass at Bantham any tips?

anything South West sea fishing related here
diceman

Spinning for bass at Bantham any tips?

Post by diceman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:59 pm

after going to Bantham one afternoon with the dog and getting all excited by spotting a shoal of schoolie Bass in the water I've been spending a lot of time there with no sucess. I've tried 2/3 hook flappers, pulley rigs and ledgers all of them with no sucess except for catching crabs. I tried spinning with wedges, Wobble lures, shads etc all with no sucess. What am I doing wrong? Its becoming an obsession I keep hearing its a great place for Bass and I'd really like to land my first. Any advice or tips on spinning for bass? Are Small lures better than large ones? What type of return speed should I be using? Should I give up and go somewhere else? I know there are bass there I've seen them I just can't catch them. A couple of the more brazen ones have even taken to leaping out of the water infront of me. I'm not sure if they are saying hello or of if they know how much it annoys me but I have my suspicions.

George6500i
Regular
Regular

re

Post by George6500i » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:22 am

If theres anyone else fishing there you should go have a look wat their using and ask if they've caught anything.

nath160

Post by nath160 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:45 pm

personally i always bait fish (running ledger or flappers) for the bass at both bantham and bigbury, its just easier and i find more successful.

those tiny eddystones work ok near the rocks, but expect to pick up pollack too, and dexters also do the job and you can get distance with the heavier ones which can sometimes be a bonus in stronger winds.

if you do choose to plu though, jointed rapals have to be a favourite anywhere around here

tight lines

fishmad
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishmad » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:49 pm

i tried september for a week up at stupid o`clock in the morning and night all i had was one small flounder i think its all luck down there mate :D

tight lines

diceman

Post by diceman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:31 pm

Cheers for all the advice. Have now caught my first bass on a cheap as chips storm wobble lure in the middle of december. "2 1/2 pounds nice fish made all the blanks worth while tasted great. Might have to treat myself to some of those fancy Yo-Zuri crystal minnows and tsunami poppers for the new year. Anybody know how long the bass hang around the estuarys this time of year?