Mystery Fish at Abbotsbury

anything South West sea fishing related here
rp

Mystery Fish at Abbotsbury

Post by rp »

Hi all
Just thought I would make a quick post after my trip to Abbotsbury yesterday. Managed after several blank trips to finally catch something other than mackeral - a red bream! At least thats what I think it was - rose coloured, bream shaped fish with a dark line along each flank. It weighed 2lb 1oz and was my 1st bream ever! I knew I had a take as it pulled the rod and tripod over!! Also made up for all the other missed bites earlier on...........

RP

triggerman

Abbotsbury

Post by triggerman »

Hi and congratulations on you catch which does sound like a Red Bream. I've never caught one off Chesil and i know it's a rare fish here. I fished Abbotsbury last Wednesday from 5pm until 11pm and had a superb evening myself.
1 red gurnard
1 Maccy
2 Eels
I Dog
1 Smoothie
Lots of Pout
Lots of pin Whiting.
Haven't had one Bream off Chesil all summer let alone a Red so nice one! Did you lose any gear at Abbotsbury as it was pretty snaggy last week which is unusual for this mark and we were fishing right in front of the carpark. Car parking guy packs up at 4.30pm so free parking after that time which makes a change from rip off Cogden/West Bex and Weymo.

robc22
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by robc22 »

a pic would really help!!!

rp

Post by rp »

Thanks for the replies and well done Triggerman on your catch - I had to pack up around 6pm so probably missed the best of it. My 1st visit there so didn't know about the car park charges but will file away for future use!!

Yes I did loose some gear which did suprise me - not much but a shock leader, rig and lead are still out there. I was to the left of the car park as the area in front of the car park seemed to be taken up with some kind of comp - lots of firemen........

Camera not not working so no pics I'm afraid.

RP

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

Have you had a look here , http://web.ukonline.co.uk/aquarium/
its a good site for fish id.

east27
Occasional
Occasional

abbotts

Post by east27 »

hi chaps, you will lose gear here when the tide turns ,as your line gets coverd by the shingle? you must have noticed when fishing here that the shingle rolls down? you might get away with it on the in tide

enough said

George6500i
Regular
Regular

Re: Abbotsbury

Post by George6500i »

triggerman wrote: it was pretty snaggy last week which is unusual for this mark and we were fishing right in front of the carpark.
During october we fished right infront of the carpark at abbotsbury and i too found it way too snaggy than usual, because the seabed is usually just shingle, and it couldnt have been buried by shingle because we were fished about 90 yds out.

steveseagull
Occasional
Occasional

Post by steveseagull »

AndyH
Occasional
Occasional

Post by AndyH »

hI RP,
Have a look at this post and see if it is one of these.

south forum,

Hayling saturday 10/10/09

Hope this helps,

Andy H

rp

Post by rp »

Hi Andy and Steve
Thanks for your posts. I think I've nailed it as a red sea bream - blackish spot behind the gill cover. Wish I'd had a camera with me as that would have been confirmation. Oh well....

Thanks again
RP

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock »

About a hundred years ago the Red Bream was what people meant by 'Bream' and they were the main catch along the south coast and the Black Bream was a rarity.
The Bream Species seem to be moving about, I've caught Red Bream down at Slapton a couple of years back.
The Gilthead seems to be moving up channel, quite common this year.