Newbie advise (yet again...sorry)

anything South West sea fishing related here
Dadandlad

Newbie advise (yet again...sorry)

Post by Dadandlad »

Hi folks, firstly thanks to everyone for such an interesting and informative site.

Please bear with us (myself and my 8 year old son) as we are total newbies to angling. 'The lad' has just bought a 6' spinning rod, some small spinners, a float and two small lures, while we were on holiday at West Bay.

We are off to Crantock (just outside Newquay) on Sunday for a few days bodyboarding and hopefully some fishing! Are there any marks within walking distance of Crantock where we can use his gear, the great plan is to catch something we can eat (do the hunter gatherer thing to impress his mum and sister!). Is this going to be possible with what we have available? Whatever information you folks can impart will be gratefully received.

My apologies for the lengthy post and daft questions but, if you don't ask you don't know!
Tnx Dad

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

First of all a warm welcome to the forums. Unfortunately its not my area but some of the local lads are bound to reply.

Never apologise for asking questions as we all had to learn sometime. You will find that all on this site are only to willing to help whenever possible.

Cheers keith :D :D

Dadandlad

Post by Dadandlad »

rabbi2 wrote:Never apologise for asking questions as we all had to learn sometime.
As I always say to any new apprentice I get at work there are no dumb questions! ( It doesn't stop them sounding dumb tho)

Thank you for the welcome.
We are both looking forward to a new and rewarding hobby with some proper 'boys time'.

sicarthew

Post by sicarthew »

As a relative newcomer myself i find all the help possible a great advantage, ive not fished the crantock area myself but i have fished further north around the Polzeath Constantine area. To date its just been mackeral but I have seen other anglers out and about. Take a look on google earth to earmark possible marks and take the missus for a walk for a good nose round. (a) find good marks (B) get in her good books.

Cheers Si

Dadandlad

Post by Dadandlad »

sicarthew wrote:Take a look on google earth to earmark possible marks and take the missus for a walk for a good nose round. (a) find good marks (B) get in her good books.

Cheers Si
Thanks. Tried that but didn't find any marks near the shops!!

We had a quick few casts from the harbour wall in Newquay with no sucess, but no one else seemed to be doing too well there either. Probably something to do with the two seals!
Tried the Gannel estuary by our campsite but only caught crabs! Oh well at least something took the bait :((
My 8 y/o lad (who owns the rod) was chuffed and thats the important thing I suppose..