Advice for a beginner fishing near Sennen Cove

anything South West sea fishing related here
leicsgas

Advice for a beginner fishing near Sennen Cove

Post by leicsgas »

Hi All,

I'm new to the site but already found an enormous array of information. However, I'm going down to West Cornwall on Friday and staying near Sennen Cove.

Looking for advice about best baits/places to fish near there.

Fished off the breakwater 20 years ago with my dad and caught a few pollack using a plastic sand eel, but that was a very long time ago now!!

I would be very grateful to catch anything so the family don't laugh at my efforts!!

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers,

Simon

boynsie

Post by boynsie »

hi. anywere of the beach for bass best bait is lug worm, peelers or sandeel you can also float fish of the breakwater for pollak and wrasse using ragworm or if u want to catch a big fish try for conger of the breakwater i cought a 17lb eel last year just use makrel legerd with heavy traces hope this is of some help.
tight lines boynsie

leicsgas

Post by leicsgas »

Thanks, Boynsie - that's a great help.

What is Porthcurno like? I was there last year during a gale and watched someone pull in two nice sea bass & a makerel. That would do nicely!!

Lastly, where is the best place to get the bait? Is there a good tackle shop in Penzance?

Thanks.

Simon

boynsie

Post by boynsie »

porthcurno is an excellent fishing mark you can plug from the rocks for bass of fish the bottom for bass, makrel, plaice, greater weaver and the odd megrim there is an excellent tackle shop in penzance near the prom it is called west cornwall angling so if u google it you should get directions and a phone number. there bait is brilliant qualiy and at good prices they are also very helpfull and will tll you all the hot spots and give you directions to get to them and how to fish the marks
hope this answers your question

boynsie