Devon Cliffs - Exmouth, advice on fishing the beach ?

anything South West sea fishing related here
inlandbry

Devon Cliffs - Exmouth, advice on fishing the beach ?

Post by inlandbry »

Hi All,
We will be staying at the Haven/Devon Cliffs site in Exmouth, mid May, and am looking for advice on fishing the beach there.
Looking on google earth, it looks as if the left hand side of the beach has a cliff side, wondered if it would be any good fishing alongside the cliffs, punching a lead out from the beach.
Not knowing the area very well, I know the Brixham/Paignton area better, was looking for advice for this area, so any received , I will be grateful.
Regards and tight lines to all,
Bryan (inlandbry)

George6500i
Regular
Regular

re

Post by George6500i »

sandy bay is an amazing place.
You can catch bass there late at night or in early morning with peeler crabs or fish and worm baits.
better when theres a surf running

fishdude

hi

Post by fishdude »

alrite mate, ur rite, far left can produce sum wrasse, ect, worth a go, i know theres bin sum doggies caught down there last week.

mikenobass

Post by mikenobass »

Hi

I fished it last year lots of dogs on sandeel close in.
Also going down there this saturday for a week so I will let you know how I get on.
I am going to give Budleigh Salterton a go tried that last year looks good were the river comes out. :)

inlandbry

Post by inlandbry »

Any reports on Sandy Bay at all.
I am coming down for a week and wondered if the fishing was any good.
As reported at start of thread, staying at the Haven Devon Cliffs site, and shall be fishing as well as having a rest. :D :D
Any info will be appreciated.
Tight Lines,
Bryan.

inlandbry

Post by inlandbry »

Hi All, not answering my own post, but will put a report regarding Sandy Bay when i get back.
Will be down from Monday to Friday, fishing a couple of the highs at night, will be plugging/spinning etc.... during the day.
tight Lines,
Bryan.

George6500i
Regular
Regular

re

Post by George6500i »

i saw someone in exmouth tackle shop on saturday and they said they wer staying there at sandy bay?
was it you?

inlandbry

Post by inlandbry »

No, it was not me, i wont be getting there till tomorrow, monday, afternoon.
Where is the tackle shop in Exmouth?
Will be using it for bait etc...

Brianred

Post by Brianred »

The tackle shop is in the strand, jut off the main shopping area.
If you want to go for the Bass pop next door into Budleigh, go to the far end of the town with the big car park. Walk to the river mouth 5 minutes to your left and chuck out sand eel (live or frozen) on a flowing race toward the mouth.
Tight lines

inlandbry

Post by inlandbry »

Brian,
cheers for the info and welcome to the forum. I mainly go on the South section, but always flittering around the different areas for news and advice etc....
This site is the best i have found for the friendly, helpful and most useful advice, so its on my favourites list.
Will give the river mouth at Budleigh a shot, and will post a report when i get back home, nr Heathrow, at the week end.
Tight lines,
Bryan.

Brianred

Post by Brianred »

Thanks Bryan, i lived in Budleigh for a few years so do have some knowledge of the area. Now mainly the Bristol Channel. Hope you had a good break, and the lines were tight!

inlandbry

Post by inlandbry »

Hi all,
the corner to the left at Sandy Bay was unfishable due to the weed. Should rename it weed bay, but the site did put a tractor down there each morning or at low topush the weed off the beech, just to be bought back by the next high.
Brianred gave a good spot for the bass at Budleigh Salterton, went plugging/spinning and had 7 to 3.5 lbs, and the couple of blokes who were fishing just along from me had a schoolie a cast, with a few pushing the 5lb mark. They were using sandeel as Brianred suggested.
Did not get to do a lot of fishing as lost a very close member of my family on the tuesday, so could not get my head into it.
Anyhow, a nice break was had, had to come back to reality, shame.
Tight Lines,
Bryan.

George6500i
Regular
Regular

re

Post by George6500i »

where did you catch the bass on plugs?

inlandbry

Post by inlandbry »

The only bit of fishing i done was at budleigh, i was wading out into the surf and casting along as i usually do. i was about 50 yards from where the river comes out, it was fairly shallow after that, but the couple of blokes that were fishing along from me were almost right on the spit of shingle/pebbles and they didn't seem to be casting too far out.
Hope to return another day later in the year, and give sandy bay a go if the weed is not there. Will be taking a lot more gear next time, prepared for a longer session.