chesil shingle bank....?

anything South West sea fishing related here
beachcaster1

chesil shingle bank....?

Post by beachcaster1 »

hia all ..can anybody help? thinking about a trip to chesil,but not fished their before.heard it can be very productive ,just after some tips on what type of tide,times,conditions are best and where abouts as i believe its 18 miles long...got 50 mile drive to get their so any advice would be gratefull...many thanks....
pete....

boris

Fishing Chesil

Post by boris »

Welcome. As a regular angler of Chesil - ohhh!! If It could be answered that easily I would write a book and be a very rich man. I put in around 40 hours of fishing over the last week or so, at all times day and night, spring tide on the flood on the ebb, you name it I tried it and caught for all of my effort two pout - It just isn't fishing at the moment. I actually went across to Poole Harbour last week where reported catches were better!
Its one of those places that when you think the conditions are spot on with big tides, coloured water, following a blow etc etc you catch nothing! then on a day when you know you will catch bugger all because its the middle of a settled period with gin clear water in the summer and there are mackrel bashers everywhere, youv'e only got an hour to fish on the wrong tide, you go and pull out a 6lb cod - I know i've done it!!

My advice now is - go when you can, don't walk miles (the sea bed is VERY similar wherever you go - I know i've dived it) use the cheapest of baits (spending a fortune does not seem to increase catches) Darkness does seem to give more numbers but ALL of my 'big' fish have come in daylight hours and finally you don't need to cast long distances (my biggest to date has come when I have messed a cast up and its fallen 20yds out!) Fishing is a science, unfortunately i'm not a scientist, I've tried the 'new ideas' but my best days hace come when I have kept it simple (like me),

beachcaster1

Post by beachcaster1 »

hia cheers boris for the reply,will give it ago soon .fished poole harbour 2 nights last week and blanked(it was below zero and blowing easterlies),but went down tue and wed this week and had 4 nice flounder and lots of school bass.a good couple of nights......

boris

chesil

Post by boris »

Good on ya. I'm giving the beach ago Saturday I will post a report once done.

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR »

I was planning on coming over to Chesil this Saturday, then I saw the weather forecast.

F6 (25-32MPH) Westerlies during the day rising to F8 (39-47MPH) South-South Westerlies by 9pm. Pretty extremem fishing conditions for most beaches but positively deadly (as in you WILL be risking your life) for Chesil.

Shame as it is a perfect tide (11pm HT) and I was looking forward to having a last chuck for the cod.

bossman

Post by bossman »

Yes I was planning a trip on Saturday - first chance I've had this year!! - untill I saw the weather forcast for the weekend :(( :(( :((

beachcaster1

Post by beachcaster1 »

hia bossman it is looking bleak..oh well.... only thing its good for is surfing,as long as its not to blown out.

beaver

Post by beaver »

hi
Going in the week and if i dont see a fish going to to be pissed off fished chesil for twenty years last year was great had eight cod this winter no cod. if u catch a cod its a real treat and quite rare. so enjoy the time on beach if u catch a cod its a bonus.I will be suprised if u do. Fishing Mags
are full of shit. Ask alan yates or holden how many cod they have caught at chesil. Not many. Enjoy the fishing and take your empty worm wrappers home.lol While i am having a rant dont get sucked into the long distance casting thing i have had every rod under the sun and reels.conoflex cod 5 mk 11. highlander.penn surf master.mag elite abu. 5600. Its all crap. Fish after a storm with big worm baits and u might be lucky and catch a cod.I can cast miles and its all shit.big worm baits catch cod if they are there. That feels better.
regards beaver

beachcaster1

Post by beachcaster1 »

hello beaver.. thanks for the advice on chesil...you seem a little narked !! already got some nice rods that will last me(pair of diawa"s,sandstorm and a supercast)that i am very happy with.not going to keep spending my hard earnt cash on more rods.....
i take it is very hit and miss at the moment ??? interested to know how you get on with your session at fishing that is ,not the therapist..ha ha
any way good luck mate,going to pop down soon.. B-)

beaver

Post by beaver »

Hi
Like to have a rant now and again. Makes me feel better.lol Primal scream therapy. What no Cod????

Regards Beaver

boris

Chesil

Post by boris »

Took a walk along the beach today rather than trying to fish it - it was like a scene from Hawaii 5 0 ! Anyone that can get down there in the next couple of days when it settles should be in for some sport - shame i'm working everyday. If anyone does get down there post a report please (but even more of a big please, return what you catch)