East Portlemouth - WHATS THE SCORE!

anything South West sea fishing related here
PlymouthTaff

East Portlemouth - WHATS THE SCORE!

Post by PlymouthTaff » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:05 am

hi

I have fished East Portlemouth a few times and have blanked everytime - not even a knock - just crabs nicking the bait!

I have tried most marks there, fishing at night on an incoming tide. I've used a variety of baits and rigs but not a thing.

I've read a few reports on the place and they all say what a great fishing spot it is - can somebody put me straight!

cheers

Taff

SDF

Post by SDF » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:29 am

East Portlemouth is so hit and miss. I have, like you, fished there a number of times and not had a single fish. I have seen posts from other people with a host of fish they've caught. I still don't know the answer to it, just have to keep trying I guess.

wellard7445

Post by wellard7445 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi Guys,
I have fished East Portlemouth with my 2 sons a couple of years ago and caught about 15 Bass. You have to cast out into a deep gourge that runs in the middle of the estuary. If you have a PC, download Google Earth (it's free) and type in the search bar 'East Portlemouth'. When it homes in you can see where the deep water is. Google Earth is also very good to pick up sand bars etc at any destination. Makes for good planning.
We will be fishing there again in May. It is a good spot if it is fishhed in the right place.
Hope this helps.
Good luck
Pete

Sparse_Fisher

Post by Sparse_Fisher » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:41 pm

A couple of years ago I fished every day/night in and around this location for 2 weeeks in Aug. Not a sniff. I put it down to the the vast volumes of fresh water emptying into the estuary, but i may be wrong.

Still the tackle shop at Chillington made a bomb out of me for bait and gear.
Regards
Mike

nath160

Post by nath160 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:47 am

Ditch End and Wolf Rock can be good on their day, but like others have said, it can sometimes be a bit hit and miss.

During the summer months, if nothing is doing in the estuary I like to take a jaunt over to the seaward side and fish off the rocks there. If nothing else you get a bit of excercise getting down onto the rock marks (and even more on the way back up!) and can usually pick up at least a pollack or Ballan or 2 in the gulleys.

allingtondave

Post by allingtondave » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:01 am

East Portlemouth is a very frustrating beach, I have had plaice, Thornbacks, Bass, Wrasse, flounders and Giltheads close by, But also countless blank days. For all the effort it has never been great, but if you pick the right time and tide it can produce, but this is the difficult part!!

timmie

Post by timmie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:19 am

I caught the club record Plaice there a fair few years ago 4.5lb (junior) its an awesum venue. fish two rods, belt one out loaded with ragworm as far as you can and the 2nd use a running ledger with spinning rod, about 2/3oz lead cast about 30/50 yards and you will have great fun with the coalfish/flatfish. I've had my personal best coalfish from there too around 3lb.