sea sickness

anything South West sea fishing related here
George6500i
Regular
Regular

sea sickness

Post by George6500i »

does anyone know of ways to stop sea sickness because we are getting a kayak to do some bass fishing off of and i dont want to ruin it by being sick

im fine on almost flat water but when it starts to get a little choppy, i die....

Any ways i could prevent / help being sick?

george

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

Have you tried travel sickness pills. The other thing you can do is focus on a fixed point that is not moving ie a lighthouse etc....Hope this works for you

George6500i
Regular
Regular

re

Post by George6500i »

thanks

yeovil

Post by yeovil »

It may sound daft but try chewing root ginger or even taking a pack of ginger nuts to chomp on it works for me
Good luck
Steve

Soleman

Post by Soleman »

Try getting hold of traval wrist bands. The are like sweat bands with a bead on the inside that pushes on the inside of the wrist, they work for my eldest.. :D

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

My wife just said the same as yeovil. Ginger helps with all different sorts of sicknes. She was eating ginger nuts by the ton whilst she was pregnant with our youngest. I think I could have owned a share in McVities with the amount she ate.

George6500i
Regular
Regular

re

Post by George6500i »

thanks everyone

i should now be able to fish off of a kayak / boat without dying

thank you
george

yeovil

Post by yeovil »

I used to run a charter boat out of weymouth and always kept a supply of ginger nuts they do help
Steve

George6500i
Regular
Regular

re

Post by George6500i »

thanks

Alan1412

Post by Alan1412 »

Wish I had know this years ago.
I think it's best to avoid milk or any thing with milk in it , that used to affect me.

But I will never forget being out on the Edystone with me Dad years ago.

One old git told me never look down at the Sea , next person says never look up at the horizon. Guess I made up my mind then that boat fishing was not for me.

Think the fumes from them old boats when they anchored up never helped neither.

turkuss

Post by turkuss »

A freind of mine swears by kwells as he used to get ill as soon as we got past the breakwater and now he fishes all day with no problems.
He takes one an hour before going out and one more when he starts to feel it coming on....
Hope this helps .

macthemullet
Occasional
Occasional

Sea Sickness

Post by macthemullet »

Hi Mate,

I spent a bit of time in the Royal Navy and in particular minesweepers.... so know a little about heading off sea sickness.

I was lead to believe from the salty sea dogs I served with that sea sickness was due to 2 things namely physical movement of acids/liquids in the stomach and imbalance between the ears.

To counter the stomach first you must watch what you eat and drink in preparation for your fishing so stay off milky/gassy drinks... especially alcohol and fatty food the day beforehand. Secondly you must ensure that your stomach is full and remains full on the day so I would suggest toast... lots of it and keep your stomach packed with digestives, bread or indeed ginger nuts. This ensures that any build up of acids in the stomach as normal are soaked up and not moving around.

Second issue is the imbalance problem... we used to wear (when appropriate) a walkman with some music on it. I know this is pretty difficult in a Kayak but if you could get yourself a little waterproof radio and put maybe one speaker in your ear, this may help.

Hope this helps.... it did for me bouncing around the Pentland Firth in winter.

Regards

Mac