ferrtbridge next week

anything South West sea fishing related here
fishdude

ferrtbridge next week

Post by fishdude »

hi guys, im fishing ferrybridge next saturday, high tide is about 7.05pm, any advise would be much apreciated, bait, spots ect, never fished it b4. cheers guys.

boris

Post by boris »

Hi Fishdude - Chesil isn't fishing great for the time of the year, you only have to look at recent comps where the top match anglers are only taking 8lb as a winning weight and many are blanking. My advice for what its worth is keep it cheap, forget your peelers and your blow lug at expensive prices, stick to rag as virtually anything that swims will eat em', fish one rod at 50-80yds the other at 30yds, and pray for coloured rough water when you arrive. The rest is down to luck - oh and don't bother walking miles, fish to the right of the wreck of the Adelaide when the tide is flooding or the left of it if it is ebbing, use a decent gripper otherwise you will be pushed onto the wreck with the current - tight lines

George6500i
Regular
Regular

re

Post by George6500i »

what i do is dig some lug from the exmouth side of the esuary then buy some mackeral and sprats and maybe some rag.

that way your no wasting money on lugworm and mackerel arnt verry expensive - niether are sprats.

fishdude

Post by fishdude »

cheers boris m8, were on the beach is the wreck?? walk on too the beach and walk left or right 4 how far??

boris

Post by boris »

The exact location is found on the attached - http://www.weymouthangling.f9.co.uk/chesil.html

I have dived it many times so am lucky that I am probably one of the few anglers that know what it looks like under the water!
As you look out to sea the wreck runs from left to right, with wreckage standing proud off the sea bed to the left and flat plates to the right with many congers under them and many fish above them. The marine life is incredible, but the current runs hard, hence strong grippers. With the flood tide fish to the right around 50-75yards this allows your bait to be dragged towards the wreck (and the scent) without going onto it or under it, you will know if you run too far, you will lose your gear! I tend to start quite away from it and as you get a feel for the snags you will quickly establish where to cast. The same is for the ebb, but fish to the left. The marker on the above site is roughly central the bulk of the wreck is around 30 yards long but the scattered bits are strewn further afield, don't worry about where it says its 100-150yds out, if you cast that far you will go straight over it and lose everything on the retrieve. Its ok at this time of the year cause the mackrel bashers have gone who crowd around there, casting nowhere near enough to the wreck to catch anything other than mackrel and missing the wreck completely.The wreck is famed for its trigger fish in the summer, but as I said above you will be lucky to get near it with 'fishermen' standing virtually side to side casting mackrel feathers with no leaders and 4oz weights (take a hard hat and bullet proof vest for when they crack off!!) there have not been many reports of the triggers this year, but you never know, what most don't realise is that water is at its warmest from September up until Xmas so they may still be around - good luck, tight lines and pleeeeeeeeeeease return fish at every chance, there are less and less around each year (and we wonder why!!) If you need any more advice drop me a pm

chesilmuff

Post by chesilmuff »

Thats an excellent post Boris.Very informative.