short trip to anglesey

anything Wales Coastline sea angling related here

Moderator: Admin

craig1990

short trip to anglesey

Post by craig1990 » Wed May 04, 2011 2:56 pm

hi it's my first post on here not to sure wht to right but i wll apolagise for my dislexia now.
right so im taking a trip down to anlesey in just over a week. i wanted to try my hand at some fishing on hollyhead breackwarter wile im there. iv nether been beach casting before im much more in to my carp and pike fishing.
first of id lile to know wether my big caarp rods and reals will be up to the task of aday fishing down there. 15 pound line on the the reals and iv got rods from 2.1/4 test curve up to 3 pond test cure.
second any help with the type of terminal takle i'll need to rig up would be much apreashated
and finaly what baits and tacktics would you recomnd for this time of year.
cheers for reading this any help you can give me would be great. i will give a full repert of how his fishing went after iv been. thanks again
craig

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Wed May 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Firstly welcome to the forums m8 ;). Secondly dont worry about the spelling m8y. Looking forward to your catch reports ;)

Regarding your gear. If your in an area with clean ground and not much tide pull. Then carp rods are fine. Be carefull though that if you intend to cast any sort of distance i would reccomend a beach caster. Also dont forget some shockleader. Casting any weights above 3oz with just 15lb line can be a bit dangerous. I would get some 50lb shockleader too ;). So just to sum up, if you are fishing close then 15lb line is fine if using small weights. If you intend to cast 40 yards plus and with 4oz plus weights then a shockleader would be a safer option.

Hope that helps.......FF ;)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi Craig mate a warm welcome to the forums. I fish the breakwater regularly and the best bait are lugworm or mackerel. Your rods are mote than adequate to fish the inner wall and you can park your car anywhere along the full length of the breakwater. A good tackle shop is close at hand in Holyhead called Winnie's worms and they supply good bait. Let us know how you get on and the best of luck.
Cheers
keith :D :D

craig1990

Post by craig1990 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:21 pm

cheers for the quick replys guys. i thought id be waiting a bit longer to here anything back. looks like iv found decent forum. you've cover most of wat i needed to know. thanks for the heads up with the shock leader. knowing me i probley would of done some damage if you handn't warned me. :)

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Wed May 04, 2011 4:44 pm

hi craig welcome to the mad house .the guys and girls on here dont takelong to answer questions mate there a great bunch of peeps .also dont beafraid to ask anybody that is fishing near you cosmost are glad to help thats the one big difference between the sea anglers and the freshwater anglers .not many secrets between them
cheers dcm

craig1990

Post by craig1990 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:07 pm

wow no secrets thats gun a big change. iv seen anglers on the back with barbed wire round there biat boxes...il be of to anglesey on friday for the week. iv got all rigs tied up. a few rotem botem rigs and pully rigs with a lot of exstra tackle. ill try and got a full rport up next weekend. should i post it on here or should i start a new thread with it?

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:19 pm

If I were you mate I would start a new thread with somthing like Anglesey report.
Don't forget that you can drive your car on the breakwater and fish next to it.

Fishing inside the harbour you won't neeed rotten bottoms but you will need the fishing the upper outer wall.
Looking forward to your report.
Cheers
keith :D :D