Dinas head fishing

anything Wales Coastline sea angling related here

Moderator: Admin

philbasford

Dinas head fishing

Post by philbasford »

Does anyone know what i am likely to catch off the beaches round dinas head area?.

Am down for a few days going via the brecon beacons where i have the chance to spin for trout(which i havent done for years since i lived in the country near a friendly farmer!!)

Got some fairly standard tackle, nothing special, but enough to do an all round job of the rocks/beach (however wish i had a decent rod!)

So any ideas /knowledge of this area would be great as we are going saturday

Phil

SeaSickSmiffy

Post by SeaSickSmiffy »

Not fished as far south as Dinas head but have fished a few marks 25 miles or so further north. I would expect the usual suspects off the beach such as doggies, maybe a ray or two or the odd bass.

Pollack off the rocky marks and there have been a few mackeral showing further out to the boats.

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock »

On the north side of Dinas 'Island'

http://haddock-fishyfishy.blogspot.com/ ... glwys.html

one of my favourite places in the world......

I was there a couple of weeks ago, we had flounder, whiting, dab, tiny codling, pollack and after dark, lots of dogfish, nothing big but plenty to keep us busy.

philbasford

Post by philbasford »

Yea we are stopping at a campsite there,

What tackle did you use?, saw floats were mentioned on there, might go and pick up a few if they are worth trying

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock »

I was using my flattie rods and 2oz leads..... running leger on one, 2 hook flapper on the other, hook lengths about 15"..... size 4 or 2 hooks. I was using salted ragworm and raw prawns from Tesco, the doggies loved them.
We were fishing from the wall over high tide as they were spring tides and there was no beach left. By choice I would have been out on the rock platform but there is only room for 2 or 3 out there. Others were using bass rods or beachcaster...... distance meant more doggies and fewer flatfish.
if you plan on hiking out along the rocks to the headland then float-fishing or spinning would reduce the amount of tackle you would have to carry.
We have caught mackerel float fishing from the rock platform, but later in the year, I'm not sure there are many about yet.

Midges were a nuisance at dusk.... I notice on another forum that Avon - 'Skin So Soft' is recommended.... I think I will put up with the bites.....

Enjoy your visit, it's a place you will go back to. I shall be there again myself early next week.