Advice for North Wales required.

anything Wales Coastline sea angling related here

Moderator: Admin

curt

Advice for North Wales required.

Post by curt »

Does anybody know how Borth beach/Holyhead breakwater has been fishing recently?? I've got a week off next week and fancy a session some where up north Wales. The Plymouth area has been poor fishing of late unless you like micro Pollack and i fancy putting a bend in my rod that is not weed induced.

AH
Regular
Regular

Post by AH »

I've been told that Huss and Smoothhounds have been coming of the end of Holyhead Breakwater. Peeler crab is the best bait up here followed by Rag Lug and Sandeel. Hope that helps.

curt

Post by curt »

Cheers AH, I'll bear that in mind. Are there any tackle shops up that way that sell fresh, live bait, such as rag, lug and peelers? Failing that will have to get some in Plymouth and take it up with me. Really wouldn't mind trying that beach at Borth though after it was reviewed in Sea Angler magazine. It looked a top spot.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Winnies Worms Tackle shop in Holyhead is the one to deal with, any of the locals will direct you and their bait is usually top quality. Also Red Warf Bay and Bull Bay are not too distant and have been producing.

Cheers keith :D :D

AH
Regular
Regular

Post by AH »

Winnies Tackle Telephone (01407)760303 he will dig Rag and Lug to order. Peeler crab is like rocking horse sh@t and depends on season and location. If you can get your hands on some crab then it will be well worth the money.
Fish the end of Holyhead Breakwater two hours each side of low water. The tide rips about 2 1/2 hour into the flood making it impossible to hold bottom until the tide eases off 2 hours before low water. Sandeel works well for Dogs, Whiting and Huss. The ground is clear after 30 yards but will have to keep an eye out for Lobster Pots. Also, big Wrasse and Pollack within 20 yards. There are plenty of Pollack right down the side and are good sport on light tackle.

curt

Post by curt »

Cheers fellas, sounds like Holyhead breakwater it is. Will be in touch with Winnies Worms before i go. All i've got to do now is book me leave pass with the mrs!! That's the most difficult part as you well know. If anyone needs tips on fishing in the Plymouth area give me a PM.

curt

Post by curt »

Ended up fishing at Llandudno pier with my brother. Had plenty of Pollack up to 1.5 lb, a massive Mackerel (tasted lovely!) and a small Codling taken at range on black lug tipped with Mackerel. Had a great day out plenty of fish were being caught all day with a few small flatties (Dabs?), Pollack, Wrasse and Scorpion fish coming out. A Frenchman also had 4 Bass up to 3 lb taken on small livebaits fished tight to the pier legs. Great fun.