Anglesey Rocks / Beaches (nr Holyhead)

anything Wales Coastline sea angling related here

Moderator: Admin

Bobbycheeks

Anglesey Rocks / Beaches (nr Holyhead)

Post by Bobbycheeks »

I'm planning a trip to fish from the shore around Holyhead or off the rocks at the bird reserve nr Cemlyn sometime over easter.
Does anyone have any experience in this area with regards to good bait to use, time of day, type of tackle required. I've noticed from other blogs the general talk is of snagging problems near to rocks. last time I was there in Nov I spoke to some scouse lads who said its best late on when the tide comes in for the bass, but all said (beers in hand) it's a long old wait. I'm not too fussed about the bass, happy with anything really.
I was reading AH has a good few pointers in this area - particularly when it comes to dinghy sailing!
Can anyone offer some quick pointers as to what spots to aim for (come on, there's plenty to go around!) - or recommend any organised boat outings in the anglesey area.

Many thanks if you can.

Rob

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

A warm welcome to the forum mate, You can do a lot worse than fishing the breakwater. On the seaward side its as rocky as hell but in the harbour its relatively snag free apart from the kelp. Wrass, dogies mackerel, whiting the odd conger can be caught. I saw AH pull in a nice conger of about 8lbs off the seaward side. There is plenty of shelter and you can park right where you fish. Hope this helps. Cheers keith :D :D

Bobbycheeks

Post by Bobbycheeks »

Cheers Keith. Now then I'll need gear - I was gonna trawl (no pun intended) ebay for some bog standard beach gear. Would that be suffice? What sort of rigs is everyone into these days? Im a semi-retired carp fisherman and have noticed things have moved on from the days of simple rigs.
Can I use a basic paternoster (from memory i think this uses a weight on the end, with a running swivel to bait, maybe using a two or three baited hooks. Sound tasty fishies?

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

A 3 hook flapper

A 2 hook flapper with runnung ledger.

size 1s to 3/0s hooks

bait lug, mackerel, squid, crab, mussel
cheers keith :D

AH
Regular
Regular

Post by AH »

If you're just getting into fishing then i'd buy light tackle and go for the Bass around Penrhos Bay, Gorad and Valley Cob in the Spring. Plenty of Peelers to be had here if you look for them, and the Bass know it. Breakwater is ok for mixed bag fishing Whit, Pout, Dogs and you won't need to cast far and keep the traces simple ie paternoster. If you're using light tackle then don't bother with shockleader, but, if your using heavier tackle beachcaster and 4oz lead then use shockleader to prevent crack-off's. Can't go wrong float fishing worm down the side for Wrasse and Pollack anywhere on the island. If you're thinking of going afloat then i'd recommend "My Way Fishing Charters" google it. Lot's of big Tope and Smoothies in Holyhead Bay. The skipper's a keen angler and won't take you on a wild-goose-chase hunting down Mackeral for the sake of an easy life.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Thanks for you input John I was hoping you had spotted this post with being a local lad.
Cheers keith :D :D

Bobbycheeks

Post by Bobbycheeks »

Chaps,

Thanks very much for the tips, it's well received.
I've had a look on My Way Fishing Charters but there's no spaces that weekend left over, dont suppose you know of any others?
I'll probably just stick to rocks, or the breakwater for some spinning, might ledger peelers on the incoming tide, or even float fish lug worm around rocks, sound good? Ideally i'd love to go after the Bass but as a freshy i'll take anything.

Have you any idea where to lugs from? Is there a local shop?

Also, im gonna have a look for some cheap starter tackle for sale. As a newcomer i reckon ill just get couple of cheap 12ft beachrods and reels for me and the misses, they should do both spinning, piers and beaches.

Hey - if you're about around any of those spots over easter let me know and i'll bring you some of my ma's cherry jam & cake from her jam factory in Cemlyn.

Anyway, thanks again.