east cork beach report 12-03-11

Sea angling topics for Northern Ireland and the Republic.
redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

east cork beach report 12-03-11

Post by redmouse »

i fished an east cork beach last night more in hope than expectation, was off work all week but never got to go fishing so was hoping for a few fish.
i got there about 7ish and it was pretty calm, more suds in close than surf. got set up with 2 rods, one in close(about 15yards) with a 2 hook flapper and 1 out far with a penel pulley.
1st cast saw a few little knocks on the rod in close so i left it a few minutes before reeling in a tiny, but cute little flounder. got him unhooked and saw a few little knocks on the other rod, sweet, a busy night i thought. got the flounder back in, rebaited and reeled in another little flounder on the pennel pulley. i was using size 2/0 gamakatsu offset hooks which are like size 4/0 aberdeens and he managed to get his little mouth around the whole bottom hook, got it out but did draw a little blood from him.
after that it was non stop action with tiny coalies, all on the close in rod, the biggest being about 20cms, some of them were hitting the baits with such aggression i thought they were small bass.
it was pretty cold, most of my baits were frozen and i couldnt get them to defrost which made using the crab difficult so only used razor, fresh(but slowly freezing) lug and salted lug.
i ended the night with a coalie af about 35cms which was to be the biggest fish of the night. surprisingly i didnt get any double hook ups even tho i had almost a fish a cast.
this was my first time using salted lug which accounted for 1 flounder and numerous coalies so ill be salting any left over ones in future.

twitchfagan
Occasional
Occasional

Post by twitchfagan »

nice flounder there redmouse, i hope to get out this week for the first time this year myself. goin to hit a new mark hupefully av something to report on.

well done m8.
:D :D :D :D :D

robc22
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by robc22 »

Nice report and pics!!....... :)

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger »

Nice to see you getting back out again Red, those small-eyeds should be back with you soon!

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

the small eyed ray ARE back again, i just havent managed one yet, good few caught over the space of a week but seemed to disapear again a few days before i got down for them X(

how are you? all well i hope?

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger »

Dont ask, the operation went well and was a great success but the physios dropped me and smashed my ankle, our days in hospital, two metal plates and five bolts later I'm home and looking for 6-12 weeks in a cast :(( :(( :((
How did your dad get on?

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

holy fcuk, thats like a dodgy story you hear in a pub. my dad is flying it, still in a little pain but he reckons its not as bad as it was before the op. he's walking without crutches for short distances and with one crutch for anything longer. he's much better than he was expecting so hes happy enough. tanx for asking

all the best with your recovery (or should i say revoveries). hope everything is better than it was before the op