IOW Fishing 06/09-10/09

anything Isle of Wight sea fishing related here
robbo76

IOW Fishing 06/09-10/09

Post by robbo76 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:10 pm

Could anyone give any tips where to fish on the island as me and my mates are over for the week next week?

micksinger

Post by micksinger » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:40 pm

Hi There,

there are so many places around the island to fish from its probably better if you post what the main area you would be staying, to be honest there are lots of places to go where ever you are and lots in the reports from this section, if you want more information on a perticular place just stick a reply on here of the place you want

regards

mick :)

robbo76

Post by robbo76 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks for reply, we will be staying in Shanklin so we are open to fish anywhere there is fish at the moment. Is there much being caught on the island at the moment? We are coming from portsmouth

micksinger

Post by micksinger » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:20 am

there are a lot of smoothound coming in at the minute from west cowes, yarmouth pier, ryde pier. also some good bass showing around the rockier marks.

sandown is good for a dabble from the pier, but mainly smaller species.

ventnor is producing some bass.

whale chine and furher along will produce some good rays,

there is plenty to choose from, if you can there are also good charter boat trips around the island if you want to make a day of it.

hope you catch, please put a small catch report on if you get the chance. :)

robbo76

Post by robbo76 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:27 pm

Thanks for the info, will post a report B-)

robbo76

Post by robbo76 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:51 pm

Can you tell me how fort Victoria or gurnard are fishing at the moment?

micksinger

Post by micksinger » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:34 am

as far as i know they are fishing well with Smoothound and pollock around. Squid baits are doing well, beware the strong tides from fort victoria though, i would go of Yarmouth Pier instead just around from fort victoria.

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

IOW tour 4/9 - 18/9

Post by pompeykev » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:20 pm

Right. I've not reported for a while - not because I haven't been fishing (quite the opposite!) - but because I've been staying in a caravan in St Helens on the IOW for 2 weeks with no internet access. Accordingly, as the fortnight was a fishing holiday, I have rather a lengthy report to post. I'll actually just stick to the highlights for fear of sending you all to sleep....

The first 3 days, my brother Adi and pal Ian were with me and we arrived at Fishbourne at 9:00 on the Saturday knowing that we couldn't get access to the caravan till 4 - solution? Head for E Cowes Marina with some bread to fish the dropping tide. Result - several bread thieves - the biggest at 2.5lb destined for the table. Couldn't get the mullet interested - apart from a micro mullet that didn't seem able to get the hook in its mouth.

Headed off to dig some rag at the Duver - while I dug, Adi and Ian fished with light gear. I went off to get the caravan keys etc and when I came back, Ian had a couple of nice fat flounders in the bucket to keep the bass company - good start!

Sunday we went to Sandown Pier and had great fun catching 11 mackerel on the float (and a bass on a mackerel chunk) but this was just the prelude to the evening's session. Turned up at Yarmouth Pier to find it really hard to fish in the wind so, on Drew's advice, we went to Colwell Bay in search of sole. Conditions were lovely but the only fish all night was a mini pout for me - most disappointing. Managed to get back to the pub by 11 for a quick pint or 3 and to plan for the next day.

Monday was, to put it mildly, a little breezy and we quickly abandoned plans to fish Sandown Pier because the sea was breaking over it, after getting weeded out at Bembridge!! Ended up fishing at Fishbourne on the dropping tide but just got one snotty for our trouble.

Tuesday saw the start of 3 unsuccessful Yaverland trips (not a bite in any session) and a brief bite-free daytime session at Shanklin. The blank was saved by an evening schoolie session at Bembridge Harbour entrance - 8 falling to rag on light tackle.

Weds saw a return to Sandown Pier (2 bass, 3 macks, 3 gar and 2 rock cook wrasse - great fun) before a night session at Seaview where a good ballan and snotty (2lb each) were joined by the ubiquitous schoolies.

Thursday saw me back at E Cowes after a grey ghost. Had great fun trying to get a goby on bread - it was definitely interested! - before focusing on the main event. Just as I thought I'd have to leave because there was no water left, the float dipped and I had a 3lb thick-lipped - target achieved! Great fight and enormously difficult to land so an even greater sense of achievement! Well pleased!

Friday saw a visit to Dodnor and another 8 schoolies, followed by a (brief) low tide Yaverland weedfest - brief because I lost 2 rigs in 2 casts due to the tons of weed snapping the leader knots. Gave it up as a bad job....

Saturday involved some drinking......

Sunday saw my final Yaverland waste of time followed by a session at Seaview notable only for 2 missed bites on big chunks of garfish (sh1t!!) and a couple of corkwing wrasse.

On Monday my pal Guy arrived and we headed for Sandown Pier. We each had plaice, wrasse and pout with Guy getting a goby and me the usual mackie and garfish on float - good fun! Beer beckoned in the evening....

Tuesday saw a return to Seaview but only mini-species to show for our efforts. Weds was Guy's last day so he chose Sandown Pier again - much to my eventual delight. One of my key target species for the fortnight was turbot and I was made up, therefore, when my second cast produced a fish of about 14oz - my first for several years. I popped a big garfish chunk down the side in the hope of a marauding bass and left it to fish while I pulled in more mackerel, garfish, pout and wrasse. Imagine my excitement when the bass rod began to nod and pull down - I struck and... fish on! But no fireworks and it was soon apparent that the culprit was a 1.75lb turbot!! No idea how it got the bait and a 6/0 hook in its gob, but I was well pleased (and it tasted delicious next morning!).

After dropping Guy to Ryde to get his ferry, I dropped in to see Drew to get the details of the comp he'd invited me to join. The venue was changed to Ryde Pier (suited me!) and I met up with Drew, Damo, Daz Newland the others to trek up the Pier for a 7pm kick-off. Unfortunately, there was no fishing access to the front of the pier due to the repair work so we all set up by the station for a mini-species session. Let's just say that I didn't blank, but nor was I close to winning - not that it mattered as it was good to have some company and a bit of banter. For the record, Damo won by a street....

Thursday saw my last Sandown Pier session, notable for a nice bass on mackerel chunk and a most unexpected catch on floatfished mackerel strip - a 1lb turbot!! I also had a fair few little pollack which were a bit of fun.

So, Friday - last day . Began by a spinning and flyfishing session at Bembridge Harbour entrance - fun, but no luck - and finished with an evening session at Shanklin after sole and ray. I had some knocks and two fish (a decent bass and a little plaice) but no sign of the target species - Oh well, there's always Town Quay and White Horses (Pevensey) in the next couple of weeks!

Thoroughly enjoyed the trip and meeting up with Drew - looking forward already to my next visit. Total scores - fishing sessions 26, total fish 130+, total species 14 - very good for the species hunt list!

Cheers

Kev