Using Lures for Bass

anything Isle of Wight sea fishing related here
micksinger

Using Lures for Bass

Post by micksinger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:19 am

Hi all,

i have been keen to use lures and spinners to catch bass this year as usually i would use bait. been fishing known bass marks but to no avail, has anyone else tried using lures around the island with much success? (apart from yarmouth pier)

might give up and go back to bait instead.

cheers in advance :)

WIGHTFISH
Regular
Regular

Post by WIGHTFISH » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:47 am

Hi Mick, all my Bass fishing is done with Lures and Fly tackle, caught plenty early on in the season but I must admit things have been lean lately due to the conditions being unfavourable for this type of approach. I know the bait boys have been doing well during this period though. Thats the thing with using lures you need the right conditions, but to me it's a far more exiting and sporting way to catch your quarry. Don't give up!

Chris

micksinger

Post by micksinger » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:09 pm

yeah it definetly feels a lot more sporting if a bit harder, if you have any information on what kind of lures to use etc it would be greatly appreciated. note that all my fishing is done from the shore.

WIGHTFISH
Regular
Regular

Post by WIGHTFISH » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Plenty out there that will catch fish, the new sidewinder plastics are good, have had a few on those this year from the shore, most shallow diving plugs that fish no more than 2ft deep are great over shallow venues, and one of my favourites is the simple Dexter wedge in the smaller weights, these all should catch you plenty of fish. As I said it's more important to pick the right conditions, no good if the sea is turbid and coloured, you might get lucky but far better if it's clear or with only a slight milky tinge to it and not too much weed or swell. There is an art to lure fishing, it's not just a case of chuck it out and wind it back, different things will work on different days depending on what the Bass are looking for, sometimes a slow retrieve, another time fast, and other times start stop or jerky retrieves are better! You just have to experiment and persist.

Chris

Wightman

Post by Wightman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:24 am

Spinning for bass from shore or in close to the rocks from a boat are my favourite methods of bass angling around the IoW. My 2 favourite rods are beautifully made by Wychwood.

1. A 12 ft 1.5lb 2 piece Barbel rod.

2. A shorter 5 piece travel rod - easier to use in the confines of a small boat.

Good quality fixed spool reels to suit loaded with light mono around 12lb bs (am going to experiment with light braid this coming season).

Lures are a matter of choice, I prefer the "Storm" type plastics which are lightly weighted in the head and have very good quality hooks which point upwards thereby less likely to snag weed etc. Darker lures are best at night, I find after dark best
The fish will be close in to the shore so long distance casting is not necessary. Fishing can be good up until about Christmas time. My favourite spots are Yarmouth, Ventnor/Bonchurch and Whitecliff Bay from the ledges under Culver Cliff.
Almost anywhere where there is tidal movement will be productive however. Do not listen to the sceptics, there are plenty of good bass to be caught. Best fish over 9lb, best catch 7 fish in the early hours mid November all between 3 and 41/2lb. GOOD FISHING!

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:41 am

Water is now too cold and likely to be for the next couple of months in my experience. I have used the same rig for years successfully but you have to be in the right spot and the right state of the tide. My rig is a rubber sand eel on a 40/60 cm snood with a one ounce drilled bullet behind it to give some casting weight. Let it sink for a few seconds then draw and wind using a fairly high ratio FS reel.