Kids an all!!

anything Isle of Wight sea fishing related here
tsbterry

Kids an all!!

Post by tsbterry » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:51 am

Hi all,
I'm heading over to IoW this weekend for a week staying in Gurnard. While I may try and book a boat trip (suggestions welcome) for myself I would like to take the kids (5 and 2) fishing also. Can you recommend a quiet but accessible place (rocks or pier) where I can cast a line while crabbing with the little ones.
Cheers

Terry

micksinger

Post by micksinger » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:40 am

there are several good spots to bring the kids along to, yarmouth pier is chnild friendly, fort victoria is good as easy parking and a large grassed area for the kids to play on if they start to loose interest, also Ryde pier due to the poor maintenance is shut to all vehicles which leaves the end of the pier wide open for anglers and no cars so dont have to worry about the kids as this is usually quite busy due to the commuters. you are likely to catch smoothound on crab from ryde pier and smaller stuff for the kids like wrasse small pollock and crabs.

hope you enjoy your stay..:)

tsbterry

Post by tsbterry » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks for the info Micksinger,

Just had a quick look, I'm liking Fort Victoria. Means the whole family can come have a picnic see a few of the local attractions and generally leave more time for me to spend fishing.
Will let you know how I get on.
Cheers

tsbterry

Post by tsbterry » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:06 am

By way of feedback to Micksinger and the forum:

Didn't make it to Fort Victoria due to the amount of other attractions around the island. However:
I did make to Egypt point but just lost tackle.
Did a two hour mackeral trip out of Cowes which was successful.
With kids in mind the fun part was off the rocks that surround the harbour in Ryde. While I caught a small bass while chatting with a couple of friendly islanders on one side of the harbour wall, the kids used the mackerel heads (ate the rest) from the boat trip for crabbing on the other. Fantastic day.

Until next year.

T