Eygpt Point

anything Isle of Wight sea fishing related here
pjgriff

Eygpt Point

Post by pjgriff »

Hi we spent a couple of weeks on the island and my son wanted to go fishing so i took him to eygpt point

High tide was at 3.15am so we got there just before midnight and fished until 5am

We didn't get much as i have not been fishing for about 25 years so im well rusty
And this is the first time my son has been sea fishing and he caught a 7lb smoothound on a whole squid we got from scotties in newport.

It made me laugh as i told him to pick it up and take the hook out and he turned round and said i'm not touching that thing its a shark.

He also caught this ugly little thing about 4 inches long and not even big enough to eat the rag im not sure what fish it is but it had spines so i though may be a weaver fish

We are going back to the island again next weekend so i will take my fishing tackle also.

May try somewhere else next time as we caught more weed than anything at eygpt point

micksinger

Post by micksinger »

well done, did you get a pick of the Smoothy?

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi, the fish you caught shown on the pic is a Scorpion fish, I think theres a sticky on the general forum showing a few. Cheers...Mick

pjgriff

Post by pjgriff »

Hi yes i did get a pic of the smoothy but it came out rubbish as it was a brand new camera and i could not figure out how to work it as it has loads of differant settings.
A few seconds after i figured it out and by then it was too late as my son put it back.

Now i will make sure the settings on the camera are correct before we go fishing.

JamieLawson

GURNARD maybe

Post by JamieLawson »

im sure thats a gurnard in the pic, also i love fishing egypt point, but most people seem to like the ebb there, i've only fished it twice but both times ive had lots of bits 3/4 hours before high water on the flood (before that pesky weed come) last week had 21" bass 30 minutes after 1st cast, also about 30 mins after it got dark, also atherfield is worth having a go, but go at daytime unless you want a conger on the end of your line becasue it is very possible!!

badboyboon

photo

Post by badboyboon »

Hy i agree that the fish in the picture is a gurnard not caught from shore round here much but are known to live round here lol.

Metalmark
Occasional
Occasional

fish in pic

Post by Metalmark »

The fish is I am sure; a Sea scorpian! B-)

fishingnuts95
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishingnuts95 »

Its not a gurnard, it is a sea scorpion had a couple of them myself off boats out of brighton!
fishingnuts95

Wightman

Post by Wightman »

It is definately a weaver fish which often referred to as a scorpion fish; most certainly not a gurnard (although caught within a mile of the village of Gurnard!). They are often trodden on by bathers and can cause excruciating pain to the treader!

Egypt Point fishes very well and very often especially on the flood up until an hour and a half before listed high water when the tide turns to flow very strongly from east to west, this is when the weed problem can begin.

If fishing for bass, the target species from April through to Christmas, use a large bait, perhaps a whole squid on a pennel rig and be careful not to cast too far. The fish are very close in (less than 25 yards) and many people cast over the top of the feeding fish. After dark is best but day time is still productive.

Spinning with light tackle is also very productive, don't give up when it gets dark, the fishing actually improves then. The "Storm" (other brands are available) type slightly weight plastic lures are deadly, the hooks face upward and therefore make snagging weed or a rock far less likely. Again do not cast too far and vary your speed of retrieval. At night the darker the lure the better and remember even a small school bass will take what might seem a large 4" plus lure.

As well as Egypt Point there are dozens of good spots to cast a lure from around the Island shores, give them a chance and you will not be disappointed for very long. For example, take a spinning rod from The Royal Yacht Squadron and walk along the coast westward even as far as Gurnard casting a lure as you proceed and you will have a very good chance of catching your supper!

Tight lines,

Wightman