where to fish in Ventnor

anything Isle of Wight sea fishing related here
crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

where to fish in Ventnor

Post by crazy-dude » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Hi all
Am off to Ventnor on Saturday for the week.
Anyone know any good places to fish? :-/

WIGHTFISH
Regular
Regular

Post by WIGHTFISH » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:32 am

Crazy dude, anywhere along the front at Ventnor will produce fish, either side of the bay is good, but be careful as it is quite a snaggy venue. Plugging and spinning work well.
Ventnor is a good area for Bass, Wrasse, and mackerel, plus rays.
Hope that helps. let me know how you get on.

best fishes
chris

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:33 pm

I am going to be on the Island for a couple of weeks in September and was intending to give Ventnor (among several other locations) a try during that time. My memories of Ventnor from teenage family holidays (a significant time ago now!) were of catching pollack from the pier but a peruse of Google Earth suggested that the pier is no more. Am I blind, or has it gone?

I'm going to be based at St Helens Duver so I know from past experience that I can dig rag nearby at low tide and will be trying all the places I never got the chance to fish properly in the past - Yarmouth Pier, Brook and other beaches on that side of the island, Ryde Pier etc. Is there anywhere specific you suggest that I should aim for? I'll have a range of gear with me (fly tackle for bass, spinning rod, bass rod, beach rod, variety of lures etc.) so should be able to cope with most eventualities and will either dig rag or buy fish baits as necessary.

Cheers for any advice you can share. I promise to post the results of my efforts!

Kev

WIGHTFISH
Regular
Regular

Post by WIGHTFISH » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:43 am

Hi Kev, have answered you fluff chucking query on the fly fishing forum, but as regards the other types of fishing, it seems you already have a pretty good idea of what you need to be doing and the places you need to do it. In addition i would suggest if you are going to fish Brook with bait then use Sandeel or Crab and fish the left side of the beach as you go down the path. Ryde Pier is productive still and i have found crab for smoothhounds cast out as far as you can and fish baits as close to the pier structure as you dare either float fished or ledgered. Ventnor still holds lots of fish and rag or fish baits will score here. Fort Victoria although snaggy in places will produce some good fish to fish baits and crab. Spinning is a good idea in most places, especially if you have limited time.
Hope you enjoy your stay and catch some fish. If you need any more info feel free to pm me.
Chris.

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:40 pm

Chris. Many thanks - exactly what I needed! I must say that I'm looking forward to a couple of weeks exploring the Island marks as I've never had the chance to do it properly in the past, even though I'm from Pompey originally! I'm hoping that September will be a productive month with the summer species still around plus some of the autumn species arriving. Cheers

Kev

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:10 pm

SniperOne. I'll look forward with plenty of interest to any posts you put up about your catches over the next week or so. The marks you mention are all going to get a visit from me as well - just 3 weeks later. The last time I fished Sandown Pier was over 20 years ago but I did catch a 3lb brill on rag on that occasion so looking forward to seeing what turns up this time. Yet to try the other named marks! Cheers. Kev

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:12 am

Shame you only had one chance to fish, but at least you didn't blank. Were you using worm? Kev

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:33 pm

As promised, here's my catch report from the last fortnight on the Island.

Although it was dry and warm, there was an almost constant NE wind for the 2 weeks which made fishing certain locations difficult, if not impossible, due to the swell and weed. As a result I fished some alternative locations, trying to avoid wind and weed.

Yarmouth Pier - 3 visits and always caught fish. First trip was best with bass, wrasse, silver eel, black bream, garfish and pollack - other trips also produced bass, wrasse and bream but all small!

Bembridge Harbour entrance - good spot but a little trying due to ignorant yachties sailing verycloes to shore and a lot of weed. Caught bass and flounder and lost something sizeable (I assume a bass) on a mackerel fillet lobbed out to the end of a groyne. Also fished up by the River Yar sluice at low tide for the thin-lipped greys but with no success.

Freshwater Bay (both sides of the bay) - what can I say? Wrasse and snags....and plenty of both!

Yaverland - fished an evening low and caught a golden grey mullet first cast followed by a schoolie and a pout - all on rag. My large sandeels belted out to the horizon in the hope of rays didn't even tempt crabs, unfortunately!

East Cowes Marina - fished between the sea wall and the pontoons with rag on the bottom and floatfished bread. Caught schoolies aplenty, a wrasse and hooked/lost 3 decent thick-lipped greys - oh well.

Rocken End - after what for me was a brown trouser climb down to the beach, I spent the day avoiding the swell crashing on the beach and not avoiding snags and wrasse. Looked a good spot, though, when it's less rough.

Seaview - fished an evening high from the rocks and caught schoolies and a flounder on rag (all dug without much problem at St Helens Duver). Looked a good spot and one I'd try again.

Ryde Pier - another small fish fest, I'm afraid with wrasse, pout and schoolies snaffling the rag. Nothing on the mackerel fillet I was casting among the piles but it looks good there for a night fish and well worth another try.

Totland Bay - similar results to Freshwater - snags and wrasse in equal measure and no interest shown in my long-cas t sandeels aiming at rays and bass.

Overall, a good trip, more than 150 fish and a decent species mix but nothing big and the NE wind (with the weed it brought) was a pain. I'll definitely be back before long and will be trying some spots I missed this time (Sandown, Horseshoe Ledge, Fort Victoria etc).

Cheers

Kev

WIGHTFISH
Regular
Regular

Post by WIGHTFISH » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:21 am

Well done Kev, sounds like you made the most of it despite the conditions, and did quite well, the bigger fish eluded you this time but hopefully not next time!

chris

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:16 am

Chris.

Thanks - I'll be back as soon as I can organise it. So many places yet to try.... and, because of the wind and weed, I never got to practice the fluff-chucking!

Cheers

Kev

shaun123

Post by shaun123 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:22 am

great report pompeykev atleast you cant say you didnt give it a good go!

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:35 am

pompeykev wrote:Chris.

Thanks - I'll be back as soon as I can organise it. So many places yet to try.... and, because of the wind and weed, I never got to practice the fluff-chucking!

Cheers

Kev
Try fly tackle for the mullet at the Yar sluice next time you go,when I lived at St Helens as a kid I can only remember two mullet caught from there,one in a freshwater match on single maggot and the other on fly tackle(dont know what pattern fly-assume it mimicked the algae or small creatures the fish grazed on around the bridge piles)Hope you get one as they frustrated the hell out of me trying to hook them!!!!All the best,Mick :D :D :D