St Helens beach

anything Isle of Wight sea fishing related here
conga
Regular
Regular

St Helens beach

Post by conga » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:19 am

Was looking at various places on the IOW coastline on Google maps and noticed that off St Helens old church the large stretch of dark rocks I remember as a kid seem to have gone! It used to be a good spot for bass as it also had a sewage outfall further out from the rocks and there were always lots of shellfish to be had.Do any of you local anglers know this spot,would be interested to hear what its like now. Tight lines,Mick :D :D

conga
Regular
Regular

Re: St Helens beach

Post by conga » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:38 pm

conga wrote:Was looking at various places on the IOW coastline on Google maps and noticed that off St Helens old church the large stretch of dark rocks I remember as a kid seem to have gone! It used to be a good spot for bass as it also had a sewage outfall further out from the rocks and there were always lots of shellfish to be had.Do any of you local anglers know this spot,would be interested to hear what its like now. Tight lines,Mick :D :D
Went down there the other weekend and found that the sand/shingle is a lot higher than years ago so the rocks in question are almost buried now-this is mainly at the LH end of the beach -the rest is more or less unchanged

micksinger

Post by micksinger » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:36 am

Did you have a dangle or just a quick look to see how it was?

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:48 pm

The tide was out so no,didn't fish this time but will on next visit.Do you ever fish this beach by the way?Cheers,Mick :D :D

micksinger

Post by micksinger » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:52 am

im not sure if its quite the bit your on about but i do fish either side of the harbour, bembridge side is good as well as the mouth of the harbour. on the other side of the harbour near St Helens you have a place called the Duver if you look on google maps you will see the Duver road which goes all along the shore line.

there is a lot of flat fish speices and around now i would expect to see quite a lot of bass and possibly some mullet in the harbour.

cheers

mick :)

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:06 pm

I spent 2 weeks last September based in St Helens and imagine that it is the rocky area in front of the old church (the big white building on the beach) that Conga is referring to - Bembridge Harbour being the other end of the beach. There's plenty of rocky/weedy areas at the Duver end that you would imagine bass nosing amongst and a crab bait must give you a good chance. As the tide comes up there were plenty of small mullet and bass following the tide in (not far out) but I never had a go for them. I agree with Micksinger about Bembridge Harbour entrance. On the Bembridge side there's a long groyne that I fished last year with a mackerel fillet. I got a good take from what must have been a good bass but it dropped the bait before I could hook it. As the main St Helen's beach is pretty shallow but there are lots of cockles and ragworm about, you'd imagine that flatties would be available around high tide - if you can avoid the sunbathers, that is...

Cheers

Kev

micksinger

Post by micksinger » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:43 am

Im going to do some spinning there this weekend so will keep you posted on whats going on down there and have a chat with the other anglers, hopefully ill pull a couple of bass out.

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:36 pm

Finally managed a week on the island last August,based in Bembridge.
I was pleased to see some good sized mullet in the millponds and by the sluice gates,another angler had had one the day before of about 2 1/2lbs.
Fished St.Helens beach twice for flatties/bass using carp rods which worked a treat with 3oz leads.Did some float fishing too,no fish but hundreds of tiny crabs about the size of a ten pence piece so there is plenty of food there.
That is probably why I saw two good sized bass right up against the sea wall at high tide in only about a foot of water,never saw any that close in while I lived there as a kid.
Only problem with this beach is other people swimming and kayaking etc.which I think were spooking the fish at times,the bites I was getting were very shy and difficult to connect with.
next time I go I might scale my hook size down to see if that helps and also try some artificial lures.
Still it was nice to fish that beach again,brought back a lot of good memories.
Tight lines,Mick :) :)