Advice on Hook size/types needed.

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
scarffo

Advice on Hook size/types needed.

Post by scarffo » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:30 pm

HI . I havn't fished for year's (apart from a recent dabble) so I need advice on which size and types of hooks to use. Not sure how the sizes work so could do with some help. I will be fishing from piers and beaches etc.
The species I am likely fishing for are Pollack,Garfish,Mackerel,Bass and maybe have ago for Mullet at some stage as I never did catch one of these in my younger days.
If you could let me know what works for you I would really appreciate this.

trooper
Regular
Regular

Post by trooper » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:21 pm

I've never really gone for makes of hooks, i just go for long shanked hooks or worm baits and sandeels etc, and wide gaped hooks for baits like peeler crab, mussels etc. As for the size i've always matched the hook size to the size of bait i'm gonna be using, so if i'm using whole squid i'd use a pennel with sizes 3.0 or 4.0 and for small baits like cockes i have gone down to as small as size 10 carp hooks.

Hope this helps

scarffo

Post by scarffo » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:14 pm

Thanks for reply thats interesting. Just wondered if size of hook mattered as to species, but hadn't thought of bait size . Thanks.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:51 pm

Always remember small hooks do catch large fish, Big hooks dont catch small uns. keith :D :D :D :D

gman

Post by gman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:54 am

you will need some tiny size 1-4 hooks for garfish as they have a long skinny mouth. make sure you take alot of small hooks aswel as garfish tend to swallow them!

for mackeral just use the same sorta size hooks on feathers or better yert use feathers lol but they do go for mackeral slivers if you dnt use feathers.

for bass i normally use a pennel rig off the end of my peir with around 10-15 metre cast. i use a size 1/0 hook for the top hook and a 4/0 for the bottom

ive only caught pollack off a float and on the same bauit and hooks as garfish so small hooks

but just experiment really and you will find out yourslef what hook seems to be getting you more fish and if your tagerting one sort of species find what hook is getting the most

Luke