Hook sizes .

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
PootyTang
Occasional
Occasional

Hook sizes .

Post by PootyTang » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:35 pm

Do any of you think we are using hooks that are too big .I,m only asking as when you look at our freshwater counterparts they are catching very big fish on relatively small hooks . Is it coz the size of our baits, coz freshwater fish are more shy after being caught so many times , coz we have to bring fish through tide and weed , or we just want to make sure we land our fish . I'd be very interested in your views .

trooper
Regular
Regular

Post by trooper » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:41 pm

I only use hook sizes what match the size of bait i'm using. I will go as small as a size 10 carp hook if i'm using very small baits like cockles.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:30 pm

I always tend to lean towards larger hook sizes, first for better bait presentation and the larger the bait the better the scent which in turn if my theory is right, attracts the larger fish. When you consider that fish can take a full sized mackrel then you need a hook proportional to the bait. I notice that the freshwater guys when fishing for pike use rather large lures with massive trebbles.

PootyTang
Occasional
Occasional

Post by PootyTang » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:06 am

True enough and i agree with you but sometimes i look at the carp boys and they are catching fish the size we really only see coming from boats with tiny hooks and i think they are barbless . Just thought i'd try a stimulate a debate . Personally the smallest i've gone to is a 4 for sole .Maybe it could be how fish get hooked coz i've noticed if you give sea fish too much time they get gut hooked . Not being a freashwater fisherman i don't know how often this happens on the riverbank.

rag
Occasional
Occasional

Post by rag » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:27 am

i use to do alot of carp fishing and used as small hook as possible , the reason being carp feel around the bait and are hook shy, also with carp you use a hair rig you don't actually mount any bait to your hook, this is where your bait is sitting just below the hook,so the hook is totally free, 99 times out of 100 the carp will hook themselves in the lip.i think this happens when the fish spits out any forighn matter it has picked up with the bait' i have used a half tin of luncheon meat (4" square)with a size 16 hook very successfully.barbless hooks are used to limit the damage to the fish, but sometimes fish throw out the hook if you give them any slack line.
small hooks can catch big fish,but it depends on the way the species feed and shape of the mouth, but it's all about bait presentaion, so you have to use the right hook for the right rig/bait.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:35 am

Dont get me wrong lads Im not saying that small hooks dont catch big fish, they do, but if you boat or shore fishing on a cold winters night the last thing you want to be doing is trying to retrieve a very small hook that has gone deep.

rag
Occasional
Occasional

Post by rag » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:47 am

rabbi2 wrote:Dont get me wrong lads Im not saying that small hooks dont catch big fish, they do, but if you boat or shore fishing on a cold winters night the last thing you want to be doing is trying to retrieve a very small hook that has gone deep.
totally agree rabbi larger hooks can make life alot easier on them dark cold nights.