12 foot beachcaster - what length shockleader ?

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:13 am

No no Keith, length of rod (12 ft) plus 7ft to allow for sinker drop then plus a few turns on the reel. Leastways that's how the Scotch do it cos they like having a few turns at reels LOL.

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:29 am

Sea anlgers use different length`s of shock leader as it will also depend on what form of casting style you use. Pendulum casters can use quite a long drop, but off the ground casters normally use a smaller drop.
Also it can depend on what height you are.
I personally think its down to what you feel comfortable with at the end of the day.
As long as you have enough turns on the spool all will be safe at least:)
cheers
mrix

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:22 pm

I've just started using tapered shockleader which actually comes in precut lengths which I find fine for my 12ft beachcaster.....Colin

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:22 pm

hi , well i use tapered shockleader which comes in 13meter lenghs

RobTheLob

Post by RobTheLob » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi all, old thread I know. Im new to sea fishing and will prob only do it 4-5 times a year as in the midlands, but couple of questions about shock leaders.
1) what knot to join to main line? albright or blood.

2) I have 2x 12' rods 4-8oz and 2x fixed spool big pit sea reals loaded with 15lb red ice. I have plenty of 3-5oz leads. Is the 50lb Drennan shock leader I have just got ok? or should I get tapered leaders?

Thanks.