luminous beads

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
Phillb
Occasional
Occasional

luminous beads

Post by Phillb » Sat May 11, 2013 11:05 am

hi guys,
I was just reading last months sea angler and the was an article about using luminous beads and accessories of your rigs. I was wondering whether any one has tried them, and whether they thought it made a difference.

thanks
phil

Yakdiver
Regular
Regular

Post by Yakdiver » Sat May 11, 2013 11:24 am

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Sat May 11, 2013 12:06 pm

The only time i every used those beads was for whiting at night. Wether they made a difference or not is debatable :-/

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat May 11, 2013 4:06 pm

I have never used them in the now many years that I have been sea angling. They obviously serve little purpose during the day in most locations but at night? Well all I can say is that from my own experience, you can't beat fresh proper bait, chiefly worm, mack fillets and squid in my case.

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

RE:

Post by mrix » Sat May 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi phil, I used to use luminous floating beads earlier in the year for Flounder fishing as an added attractant, did they catch more fish ? hard to say for sure I guess.
Flounder appear to be attracted to bright colours during the day so in the dark why not Luminous beads ?
They are cheap enough to buy so always worth a try and see how personally you get along :)
As for other species of fish would it be an attracttant or turn fish away ?
For a test, If anyone has a fish tank, switch the light off in the tank one evening and see what happens when you put a luminated bead to the glass ????? I can understand the species would be completely different but you might get an idea ;)
Cheers
mrix

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:41 am

Over the years I have used flounder spoons, beads and luminous beads. Yes they do work if you or the tide work them.

The lure (spoon/beads) attracts the fishes attention initially towards your baited hook.

They must be kept on the move and not left stationary. my best catch on beads was from Conway estuary. 4lb plaice.

Cheers
keith :D :D

Joefish

Post by Joefish » Sun May 12, 2013 2:10 pm

If you look at the Angler fish his lure is luminous/fluorescent and as Keith says keep it moving he does and catches plenty of fish so I would say it works in the right conditions.
Regards Joe

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun May 12, 2013 4:02 pm

Another trick is to expose the beads to a strong light before you cast out at night. Daytime will light the beads up naturally.
Cheers
keith

Phillb
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Phillb » Sun May 12, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanks for all the replies, ill give them a go next time i go.

Cheers
Phil

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:07 pm

I wonder this question myself so fished for Whitting fished normal beads against these at shoreham.It was not a sure answer maybe just on the night plian beads 4 luminous 11.

CHEERS DAZ B-) B-)

Phillb
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Phillb » Tue May 21, 2013 6:00 pm

Thanks for the info daz. So the lumi beads seemed to have played a part on that session. Im off down to the coast in a couple of weeks ill give them a go and let you all know.

Thanks
Phil