WEIGHTS

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
essexman
Regular
Regular

WEIGHTS

Post by essexman » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:28 pm

If you don’t fancy fishing rough ground, which tends to be where the better fishing and bigger fish are, because you’re worried about losing lots of weights, try this.

For about £1.50 you can buy pre mixed bags of sand and cement at a builders shop. Get some old egg cartons and wire coat hangers. Cut the coat hangers in to wire lengths about 2-ins long and make an eye in each end with long nosed pliers by bending the wire around. Mix some sand and cement with a little water and fill the cavities where the eggs sit in the cartons. Now push one of the wires fully in to the cement and leave them to dry for a day or two. These are heavy enough to hold in rough ground and on surf beaches with a light tide run and work out far cheaper than buying leads.

danlevy

Post by danlevy » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:38 am

It's a great idea.
In addition to the money you're saving, you're also saving the ocean.
Led weights harms the sea, as led is a very poisionous material.
I saw a web shop that sells weight made of pebbles, but the solution you offer is even better (and definitely cheaper)

Happy Fishing :)

Dan

www.fishingtreats.com

concrete

Post by concrete » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:39 am

danlevy wrote:It's a great idea.
In addition to the money you're saving, you're also saving the ocean.
Led weights harms the sea, as led is a very poisionous material.
I saw a web shop that sells weight made of pebbles, but the solution you offer is even better (and definitely cheaper)

Happy Fishing :)

Dan

www.fishingtreats.com
I thought that once lead oxidised, nothing could get in and nothing could get out. I suppose in a big storm the coating could get damged.

I'm sure that Professor Booth will put me right.

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:55 pm

To be honest, a lead here and a lead there isn't going to make a huge difference. Sea water already contains large quantities of metallic substances some of which are more or less harmful than others, eg. The largest concentrations of gold are in the oceans but it is not commercially viable to extract it.

To answer your point Mr C, the coating on the lead is probably more poisoness that the lead itself as it is easier to ingest and once ingested will migrate into the bloodstream easier.

Sheddy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Sheddy » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:49 pm

Spark plugs. Bash the electrode down until it meets the central post. Weighs arouns 3 oz. Half screw the nobbly bit off of one and screw another plug intot he top of it. 6(ish) ounce weight.

concrete

Post by concrete » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:47 pm

DuncBooth5 wrote:To be honest, a lead here and a lead there isn't going to make a huge difference. Sea water already contains large quantities of metallic substances some of which are more or less harmful than others, eg. The largest concentrations of gold are in the oceans but it is not commercially viable to extract it.

To answer your point Mr C, the coating on the lead is probably more poisoness that the lead itself as it is easier to ingest and once ingested will migrate into the bloodstream easier.
Some people really do have too much time....................................

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:21 pm

No, this post was written between other jobs. I'm just so bloody intelligent that sometimes it hurts!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

concrete

Post by concrete » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:34 pm

If I got enough egg boxes, I reckon I could make a couple of hundred at a time and as the concrete would be compacted properly they would weigh a little heavier. I keep toying with the idea of making a pyramid weight mould. Something to do in winter when I've got more time perhaps.

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:50 pm

I tell you what would sell:

Get some minature figurines made of famous political figures and turn them into weights. People would be queing up to drown their favorite politician!! :lol: :lol: