bream

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

bream

Post by wannacatch1 »

Sat here as I do when no work I can get on with (dont feel sorry for me misus gets most of the dollar day off is good) makeing up rigs for bream 2 hook flappers.Useing Abberdeen hooks size 4.Is that too small and easy for small fish to cop hold of,I know bream are finnicky (sorry about spelling) but should the hooks be slightly bigger ? :-/ :-/ :-/

DAZ

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

i daz
im no expert bream man but id go with the 4s mate after seeing and haveing the trouble hooking them the last two times out on the boat .we were missing most bites when useing size 1s and 1/0s but hit most on the 4s
cheers steve

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 »

I have used size 1 and1/0 on the boat but used bait elastic and slightly bigger bait to keep away the small stuff with good results.Not to sure about off the beach because a small bream better than a blank LOL.

DAZ B-) B-)

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

No I don't think size 4 is too small, lots of folk use that size but personally I prefer size 2 and those hooks where the point curves inward which seem to give a better hooh up rate.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

Size 4 is ideal m8 ;). Use the same rigs for sole ;)

bassmanrob
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bassmanrob »

Have you tried circle hooks?

I tried them for bream a while back and my hook-ups doubled instantly and every fish is neatly lip hooked. Use a two hook flapper with short snoods (10-12") and resist the urge to strike, let them hook themselves. I use size 1 sakuma circles, a small very strong pattern.

Had some nice bream yesterday using this method including this 2lb 1oz beauty.

fishingnuts95
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishingnuts95 »

Rob beat to me it! circle hooks are the best for bream (personal opinion). a lot more hook ups then aberdeens as you don't have the long shank plus the hook is almost guarenteed not to be swallowed! size 4 circles are probably the best (again personal opinion).

chameleon

Post by chameleon »

depends where you fish and the size of fish you expect i would go with size 4s and i like circles too, i once had a 4 Lb bream bend a size 1 aberdeen almost straight fishing the tide race at Portland i then went on to use size 1 tinned O'shaunassy's i have since moved on to circles but the size generally depends on where i fish but i will never use fine wire hooks again at Portland

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Ah well, it depends on what quality of Aberdeens one uses does it not? If you want a really superior hook, I would suggest the VMC 7240. These are not cheap at aroud 30p each but they have a long life because they are tin plated rather than nickel so they don't rust easily and the micro barbs make them good for holding worm and fish for that matter. I haven't tried to do it yet but suspect that bending the points in a tad with radio pliers will improve the hook up rate as well.

chameleon

Post by chameleon »

yes thats very true but i believe they were mustad so not exactly cheap rubbish

chameleon

Post by chameleon »

ive also tried the VMC 7240 pattern and think that they are are very over priced for what they are and not of especially good quality compared to Varivas or Sakuma which i now regard as some of the best hooks made

DJ

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Hmmm, well each to his own but I have had the points snap off with those sakuma hooks in the past and it doesn't take long before they start to rust.