Has anybody tested these?

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
maniacmark

Has anybody tested these?

Post by maniacmark » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:44 pm

I have seen these on a popular auction site, wondered if anybody has tried these or similar types.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As an engineer I have made my own weights (and moulds) for a long time.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:02 pm

They are superb for lifting the weight clear from snaggy area's using a fast retrieve. You can also us a similar shaped thing made in plastic that goes above you weight to achieve the same thing.

Quite useful on occasions.
Cheers
keith :D :D

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:58 pm

Never used them but can imagine good on the right grond for smuts??
decent run . ;) ;)

DAZ :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:39 am

Sorry to disagree with rabbi2 but I just don't believe that they work in the way that they are supposed to. One of my mates had one a year or so back and he still got snagged. Let's think about it: Most of us will attach them with some kind of swivel, in which case what is to stop them from spinning round and thus not "planing" in the water. I think that a far more sophisticated device would be needed to plane in the water and thus lift the rig out of the way of any snag areas near the bottom.

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:44 am

i have never used them but if you think how much a lead without the lifts on gets dented and knocked about on rough ground i woud think that these would soon become usless ,the thin molded lift would bend / where away .ill stick to the plastic ones .just my opinioun
steve

actionsanta
Occasional
Occasional

Post by actionsanta » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:18 am

I agree with Eccles. I used these over clean ground just to see how they would react. They ended up planing sideways! Right back to the bottom again. Not a good design. I now use the flat back impact lead. I think its by breakaway.....

maniacmark

Post by maniacmark » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:59 pm

Thanks guys for the info, if I get a spare bit of time I may try makine a similar mould for myself. At the moment I will stick with the ones I use as I do'nt oftn fish on snaggy ground

Mark

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:10 am

very good for floundering,they will drop into a gulley nicely.also on muddy ground when targetting flounders,if you dont get a bite for a few minutes or so try reeling in a little bit as they will disturb the seabed and flounders can be curious fellows.they work the same as the flat plain leads but cause more disturbance