Spinning/plugging

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
nofish

Spinning/plugging

Post by nofish » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:14 pm

Hello all, would this work, or is it used already, a 2-3-or 4oz lead at the bottom, swivel, 60lb leader ( depending on your weight size) about 2-3 foot up from the lead a three way swivel, a 3-4 footlenth of mono with a spinner/plug( sinking) on the end. Now would this be of any use in a good surf so the spinner can be cast a good ways back behind the back breaker and kept under the breakers and wound in.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:49 am

Well it might do and the answer is, give it a try but I think it would be hard work becuase spinning involves casting again and again until you get a contact. If you want to cast a bit further, try tying your lure about 18 inches behind a one ounce drilled bullet. I have used this method quite successfully with bass and it can be cast about 60 yards - quite a bit better than the 20/30 yds achieved with just a plain lure.

oggy_chomper

Post by oggy_chomper » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:28 am

Why not try some of the heavier lures like the Dexter Wedges, coupled with a light spinning rod or perhaps a carp rod these lures can be flung a fair few yards.

nofish

Post by nofish » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:17 pm

I know where your coming from lads and I've tried all them ways ( and many more ) the idea came when fishing in Cornwall a few years ago where I was fishing a beach where I caught a bass but it was a very long way out ( about 100 yards) just under the last breaker and to myself I need a sinking plug under that, anyhow I'll ponder on it and try it next time I'm bass fishing.

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:46 pm

Most plugs and lures have an inbuilt action which gives them 'life'. To add lead to them may well stop them working.
Why don't you try any of the new breeds of softbaits like storms, mega bass or slug-go's. They can all be rigged in the manner you describe.
We use them here for pollack, using barrel leads up to three ounces rather than bullets as they are more aerodynamic.
They land a lot of bass, but I think to constantly cast 100 yards would need a heavier than normal spinning rod