Ready made sea fishing rigs

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
guitarman19780

Ready made sea fishing rigs

Post by guitarman19780 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:23 am

I am a complete newbie to sea fishing and am trying teach myself about tie my own sea fishing rigs. I have been told I am best of buying to ready made rigs and copying these initially. I have searched online and the selection is enormous. The three leading companies appear to be Moonfleet Angling, Mermaid Tackle and Fitzmartyn Seagull rigs, all seem to use silicon sliders for their rigs ? Does anyone know which company I am best off using ???

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:56 am

If you check in the lefthand side of the page and click on terminal tackle you will find several rigs on there. You would be best served using a 2 or 3 hook flapper to start with and use 60lb mono as the main body and your hook lengths made of 15 or 20lb mono.

Oh by the way a warm welcome to the forums
Cheers
keith :D :D

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:25 pm

hi guitarman welcome to the site as keith says look at the left side shows some good rigs and easy to follow ,what area are you from cos i should think if you put it down in your info youll find someone near that is more than willing to show you how to make some of you own there a great bunch on hear
steve

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:37 pm

chameleon

Post by chameleon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:39 am

andy dont you mean grinners for the bodys and half bloods for the hooks?

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:21 pm

chameleon wrote:andy dont you mean grinners for the bodys and half bloods for the hooks?
nope :D , grinner for hooks and half bloods for tying line to anything else.

have a look at moonfleet anglings line of rigs,
http://www.moonfleet-angling.com/moonfl ... _rigs.html
they arent the cheapest but they are the BEST by a country mile.
get one of each of these, and they will do for all occasions and conditions.
3 hook flapper,
2 hook cascade (also known as a 2 hook clip down)
pulley rig.
have a look at the components and head to your local tackle shop then and buy the varius bits and pieces to make your own copies of the bought ones.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:22 am

I would only add that eventually you will find it best to make your own rigs as you can then include features of your own invention as most of us do. The two hook clip down rig that I employ most often is entirely my own creation and you won't find anything like it on the market.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:29 am

Why buy a rig to copy it? Look on the net, there are always detailed pictures of rigs and great instructions. I avoid all rig making companies as once you realise how easy it is to make your own rigs and the satisfaction you get catching on your own rigs is great. The internet is a powerful tool when it comes to rig making. There is every design going, just takes a little searching ;)

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:02 pm

In reality there are only 2 rigs: the paternoster, and running leger. All the fancy ones are just variants of the first.

You don't even need to buy many bits and pieces to tie a fishable rig. Take a piece of line (same strength as shockleader), tie as many dropper loops in it as you want hooks, tie your snoods to the loops. The only other essentials are clips and swivels (or split rings) to attach lead and leader. Rubber tubing is good to slip over dropper loops - mini stand-off booms.

For a clipped-down rig, paper clips work pretty well.

Easy - or it would be if there were many fish about.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:40 am

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:
Easy - or it would be if there were many fish about.
Hence why i dont sea fish much now ;)