wishbone rigs

Only for the discussion of Terminal Tackle ie: Links, crimps, Swivels, clips, weights and so on.
stillsy
Occasional
Occasional

wishbone rigs

Post by stillsy » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:43 pm

Have had some success fishing with these but always find they get tangled, particulary my hope tied ones. I waste to much time on the beach untangling a mess when I should be fishing - any suggestions to avoid this welcomed

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:57 pm

You could try tubing but I would rather use a running ledger . No tangles
Cheers
keith :D :D

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by andy1_i » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:08 pm

try using a different colour on the hooklength to your main rig body this really helps with untangling the tangles,i do this with my bomber rigs,bottom snood red and the top one some other colour,try it ,saves time.rig tangles will happen

chameleon

Post by chameleon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:59 pm

use your wishbone on a pulley rig and make the entire hook length detachable on a gemini swivel clip and of a different colour to the main rig body

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:23 am

Fix the wishbone in place so they are facing outwards more. Tubing is idea, you only need a bit either side of the swivel ;)

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:25 am

Although I have used them in the past, I have to say that I do not understand the principle of using a wishbone rig in that it has never been more successful for me than an ordinary two hook clipped down job which if you get it right almost never tangles in my experience.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:31 am

Trail and error with any rig you make. It will come good, its about understanding why it tangles ;)

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:51 pm

I've tried wishbones and they are almost designed to tangle. Tube is an idea, but as rabbi and eccles say, a simpler arrangement may be best.

I once asked a fish what it thought of wishbones. Its silence was eloquent.

sparkyman

Post by sparkyman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:01 pm

..I've been using a Farley rig all summer, never had a failed wishbone release & never had a single tangle (unless weed was involved).... and caught Turbot every trip bar two, one of which was 2 weeks ago, the other was in so much Atlantic swell I left the mark for fear of a freak wave whipping me away. On one trip I hooked a turbot, followed by a Plaice on the other hook whilst retrieving (must have chased after the spare bait & hooked Turbot as I lifted the rig off the sea bed)

I started off tageting Plaice with this rig early summer, using sequins & coloured beads on the wishbone - started catching Turbot immediately, so kept using the rig. Flattie Tally this year is 24 Turbot & 1 Plaice, all off the same mark. Met another angler in the Car Park one day who spent this summer fishing "just around the corner, out of sight from my mark - he's caught Plaice all summer & not a single Turbot !

I use 25lb Amnesia for the wishbone and keep the hook to hook length very short (about 8" max). A bead & crimp, either side of & tight to the swivel gives the wishbone some extra "spring" & stops the two hooks from coming together after release.